1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Old Tank Syndrom-Can it be prevented????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by foxface, Sep 7, 2008.

1. foxface

foxface Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone. Just curious what everyones experience has been with this topic. Many hobbyist in this club have been around awhile and I was just curious who has been affected by this. It makes me wander if we should keep all of are eggs in one basket. All the time and money that is spent rearing our reef tanks can be wiped out in a blink of the eye.
    1: At what time frame were you stricken with this?
    2: How long have you had a tank that has not gone thru this?
    3: Was is a slow decline or sudden?
    4: What have you contributed this to?
    5: Can it be prevented?
    6: Will staying on top of of tank maintenence and params detour this or is it just a matter of time?
    So many people give up hope and get out of the hobby when this happens. Really can't blame them after some losing literally thousands of dollars. I read and interesting story that elaborates on this subject here http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/10/aafeature#h1 This happened to me several years ago and I got out of the hobby for about 8 years after being in it for 10 years. In no way did I lose what many have lost. I have now had my tank (40g breeder) setup for a little over 3 months and things are looking great. I have dove into this venture again after being tempted allmost daily since my layoff and did it again. I have spent way more money then I did years ago. The knowledge we have today with these forums and advice from fellow reefers makes the possibility of maintaining a healthy long living tank atainable.
    Your thoughts on this topic would help many.
    Thanks everyone.
    John

2. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    alot of people these days will start taking alittle bit at a time out of the tank and replacing it with new sand. Ive run sand and BB and for the most part I can't do sand anymore, I give huge props to the people who make a sandbed work. I cant never get mine to stay put, cant keep the nutrients down, and keep the algae from growing all over. It's one of those things that people should be aware of but they should also consider if there running sand.

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Hey John,

I havent ever had one fail, although the longest I have had one up at one time is 3 yrs.

I would say the best prevention is like Jason said is to add new things to your tank on a consistent basis. Maybe a new piece of LR here & there. A cup of sand from someone, or some new Cheato for the fuge.

I am one of those who wont be putting sand back into my tanks either.

4. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    One thing that I think contributed to the problems that I had with hair algae in the tank that I just took down (I upgraded to a bigger tank)  is too much rock for my tank, not enough flow because of the excess rock "wall" and not doing the maintanence of blowing off the rocks often.  I found that there was really a buildup of crap on the rocks when I took it down and I am going to be more diligent in keeping my new rocks blown off occasionally.  Keeping the detritus and excess nutrients off your rock and sand should help keep any tank healthy!