1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Ohh nitrates...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dead fish, Nov 20, 2012.

1. mpivit Well-Known ReefKeeper

Dubuque
    Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
    For a long term solution, have you considered an Algae scrubber? I don't see any references to an algae problem in this thread, but starting a scrubber is inexpensive, and easy provided you have space over your sump and for me at least has made taking care of my reef incredibly easy. What I like about it is it acts as a backup to my test kits. If the screen is growing a nice green, and corals are open I know all is well. I still have to test, especially alkalinity, but since starting the screen my nitrate and phosphate has tested 0. It has tested 0 for so long I stopped testing for it. I also have one of the fattest mandarins I've ever seen. To my knowledge there is no risk of the scrubber causing negative side effects, but I would do my own research.

Turbo Aquatics had a table at Fall Fest, he made a really nice looking unit that looked very easy to bring online. If you are considering macro-algae, you owe it to yourself to consider this as well. Just my opinion.

Just a thought,

2. Charlie B GIRS Member

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You can build a scrubber for like $4 plus a pump. Mine is ugly as sin but it has my tank clean and nitrate/phosphate free.

3. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Do tell...

4. Charlie B GIRS Member

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Basically you are setting up a system in your sump that grows algae on a roughed up sheet of plastic. The theory is you are growing it so fast in the sump that it out competes anything in your display, all while eating up the nitrate/phosphate in your tank. I went from full on hair algae nightmare to bare rock in a few months, with nitrates around 15ish ppm to rock solid 0 constantly now. This website pretty much sums it up. My scrubber is 4 inches wide and 6 inches tall on a 55 gallon tank, and it works so well I disconnected my GFO and skimmer.

Link keeps on not working. http://algaescrubber.net/forums/showthread.php?1291-Algae-Scrubber-Basics-The-Summary

5. mpivit Well-Known ReefKeeper

Dubuque
    Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
    I am also filter less except for the scrubber and loving it. It's been about 8 months since I've taken my skimmer offline. Definitely check the link above.

It is not an overnight cure. It took about a month to establish itself, but once established it does an incredible job.

6. mpivit Well-Known ReefKeeper

Dubuque
    Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
    If costs $15 to build your own assuming you have absolutely no materials laying around the house. You'll need either a circular or tablesaw to cut a slot as well. It is ridiculously easy, I spent more time at Menards checking out than I did building my first one.

7. Charlie B GIRS Member

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah most expensive parts are a pump to push the water and the Dremel I used to cut the slot. Mine uses 2 feet of PVC pipe (already had) 2 zip ties, a pvc cap, a pvc elbow, the pump, and the plastic lattice, and 2 lights.

8. Marcus

Marcus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm going to chim in.. I love my bio pellets i have a reef octupus reactor and has taken a while to dial in the correct flow but everything is zero. simple, easy no maintence no cleaning just add some pellets every so often.. JUST KEEP them tumbiling.

9. gearhead

gearhead Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    best way to make sure everything is safe is put it in my tank lol , sorry man hope it starts getting better

10. iaJim

iaJim Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just don't lose track of your bio pellets. I forgot to check mine, and they were all consumed and then my nitrates spiked and killed my corals.

11. Marcus

Marcus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

yeap you need to keep an eye on them.. i just check them when every i add water

12. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

OK, so I'm intrigued. I have a couple maxijet 1200s that I just freed up when I bought some new powerheads. I have a 24" T5 light and a 17" LED strip light I could use (which is better? Would the Maxijet work for a pump? What size PVC? Do you just let it drain into the sump? Pics?

13. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I looked into a biopellet setup and for the 200 gallons or so I have it's be a pretty pricey set up. Sounds cool though.

14. Charlie B GIRS Member

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For lights I just use two "warm" colored light bulbs in clip on reflectors. One on each side of the scrubber pointed at it. PVC I want to say is either 1/2'' oer 3/4'', I don't recall. The link below is my thread on the algaescrubber.net forums, and it shows what mine looks like.

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/showthread.php?1770-55g-scrubber

15. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

How did you hook up your pump?

16. Charlie B GIRS Member

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I used a 3'' rubber hose connected to the pump and shoved it into the open end of the scrubber. It loses some water back out the bottom, but it is an effective if inelegant solution.

17. mpivit Well-Known ReefKeeper

Dubuque
    Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0

I use 6 inch aluminum dome lights (cheap) with spiral Cfl bulbs, prob 3500k color temp. 3/4 inch PVC.

My first setup consisted of an 8 inch PVC riser with a slot cut, an elbow a barb fitting (1/2 to 3/4 to plug the maxijet into) and a cap for the other end of the riser. The screen can be found at either michaels or hobby lobby for about 50 cents. I just zip tied mine into place in the sump and clipped the lights to any available surface. It was ugly, but it worked. I have since redone it, but in principal it is the same. I have attached 2 pics, one of the old setup and one of the /Portals/0/activeforums_Attach/IMG_0105.JPG

18. mpivit Well-Known ReefKeeper

Dubuque
    Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0

/Portals/0/activeforums_Attach/IMG_0102.JPG

New

19. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Very cool. I'm gonna give this a try.

20. mpivit Well-Known ReefKeeper

Dubuque
    Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
    I would try to get some sort of splash guard, that Pic of my original is pretty scary.