1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Ohh nitrates...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dead fish, Nov 20, 2012.

1. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Well, I just changed another 45 gallons. I have some no3 test strips and I decided to try one. No3 reading 80ppm on the strip. Ill try my api kit later.

Progress?

2. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

So I have changed over 100 gallons of water in the past week to 10 days and still my nitrates are reading over 160 ppm. Is that even possible? I cahnge over 50% of my total volume and no change at all?

I decided to check the expiration dates of my kits and my test strip (which I used today and yesterday as a control test) were made in 2008. My API kit was made in August of last year. I suppose it's possible that both kits are expired. They are both showing the same results.

I'm going to get a different kit tomorrow, preferrably something better than API and keep my fingers crossed. I have to admit, now I'm totally flummoxed.

3. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Some kind of contamination of the testing equipment?

I would think with results that high and not being able to bring them down you would be having much more problems.

4. Andy The Reef Guy

Andy The Reef Guy Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    WAIT! What are your nitrites and ammonia testing at? *rubs hands together menacingly*

5. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I find it hard to believe you have anything alive if you are testing that high.

6. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Something that comes to mind is that you may not have sufficient flow in your tank and this is allowing a lot of dead and decaying matter just sit in your tank. When you do your water changes are you siphoning from the bottom and vacuuming your sand? Have you checked your sump for any build up of yuky stuff? you very well could have an area in your sump that could be collecting stuff you are not aware of.

7. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Someones peeing in the tank when you're not looking....

8. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Are you thinking with nitrates that high there has to be some traceable level of nitrites and unconverted ammonia?

9. Andy The Reef Guy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yah... maybe not..idk this is just maddening.

Jason, if you're missing fish you need to go digging for bodies. That would contribute significantly to nitrate build up.

10. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Ammonia and nitrites are zero. Nitrates are closer to 80 than 160ppm today, but it's so hard to tell.

I don't know about digging for bodies. We're talking 2 really small fish.

I'm dialing back the vinegar and will do another 30 gallon change tomorrow.

11. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Also thinking about running carbon. Would that help?

12. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am not sure carbon would help in this case. One thing you want to avoid is doing to many things at one time.

13. Andy The Reef Guy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Organic carbon dosing will take weeks to begin making an impact

14. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Well I just moved all the rock out of the center of the tank and created 2 Islands. I redirected the power heads to hopefully stir up anything that's settled back there to get filtered out by the filter floss I'm running.

15. I would guess if there was a couple of small dead fish on the bottom, the CUC would have taken care of that within a day or so.

16. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Just take it easy making changes. If nothing seems to be effected by the high nitrates I wouldn't over react and make too many drastic changes.

17. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Yeah, this is it for now. I'd been wanting to get a little different rockscape going anyway.

18. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I agree with David and others. Don't do too much at once, because you will not like the outcome if something else go wild. Be careful and if you use Carbon on your tank it will filter out just about anything you add to the water.

Did you use the Chemi pure yet?

19. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Chemi-Pure is in there. No tdoing too much yet.

20. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

So I've been dealing with this nitrate issue for nearly three weeks, have gone through all the steps listed in this thread, including another 30 gallon water change yesterday, and still no change in my nitrate levels. None.

I am stumped. And bummed.