1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Oh No!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jwess, Nov 11, 2007.

1. jwess

jwess

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I did a water change yesterday.  Got everything done just before work.  Got home from work to see how everything was.  Something smelled fishy in the basement.  I rushed to the tank and saw everything was shriveled up and looked like it was melting.  My two SPS, acro and monti, were bleached out.  I imediately started running carbon.  This morning all my LPS still looks the same, melting.  My anemone is aslo shriveled up.  All fish are ok but my shrimps are dead.  Have no idea what happened.  I hope I can still salvage my brains and frog spawn and anemone.  Im thinking my daughter may have dumped something in my water.  That is the only thing i can think of right now.  As if I didnt have enough things goin right now between work, getting the house ready for new carpet, seeing out of town relatives, and of all things my tank is crashing.  If one thing good comes out of this it would be that it aslo killed off my flatworms.  [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Josh

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ouch, sorry man, that sucks!

Have you checked all your parameters? You didn't miscalculate on your salt did you?

-JB

3. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Josh, bummer to hear what happened! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif Do you have an extra tank or container you could put your corals in temporarily? I'm guessing your corals are going to continue dying from whatever is in there now. Plus with the massive die off, it's only making things worse. You might also want to check your parameters.

4. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Josh, let me know if theres anything i can do to help man, that really sucks.

5. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You will want to yank everything you can to a new tank or container filled with fresh saltwater, heated and pH adjusted obviously. That will be your only chance. There is definatly something poisoning your tank as the shrimp are a good indicator of this. Poisoning can include meds that were added, overdose on salt, pH crash with Kalk or calcium overdose, etc...

6. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Also check that you didn't blow your heater by running it dry... It a very common ooops that would leach toxins into the tank. Glass heater explode if run dry during a water change.

7. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That sucks. So i guess that you dont want to order those fish. Let me know for sure because i can wait to order for a while

8. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sorry to hear that, thats really a bummer.
    first thing i would check before trying to put them in new water is your fresh water source you use before adding salt.
    check for chloramines, chlorine.
    alot of times, municiple water co will up the dose on chloramines or chlorine.
    you use your regular dose of remover, finding out its not enough.
    or your ro/di has went on you, maybe a carbon block has leached all its contaminants.
    your best bet might be to get a 5 gal jug of water at the store and then move them to a safe tank.

9. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Dude that sucks. I hope you can save whats left.

10. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am going to wait til after thanksgiving to order the fish if that is ok. I came home today and my sump had about an inch of water in it. And the water looked like crap. It ended up being a snail than when down my drain pipe and was stuck at the ball valve blocking all the water.

I hope that is ok with you. I need to get my tank back together and get my rodi system too