1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

????? of the week!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JByrd, Jan 8, 2009.

1. JByrd

JByrd

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This weeks question of the week pertains to skimmers.  All skimmers come with directions on how to operate the skimmer.  In these directions they give a water level in which the skimmer performs best.  For example my new skimmer the Octopus Extreme 200 gives a level of 8"-10" of water.  Why would this level be better than 6" or even 12"  This is the question of the week.

2. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

To low of a level and the skimmer may not produce enough foam to push to the cup. ( or a very dry skimmate).

To high a level and the skimmer will produce to much skimmate and the skimmer cup will over flow. ( or produce a very wet skimmate).
    The water level is a product of the skimmer pumps ability to produce a head of foam.

3. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    B-rad said it pretty well. I think the water pressure has to do a lot with it. It really is true though, you want your skimmer to sit in a constant level and at the right level....you will notice the difference.

4. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you want your venturi to work you need to keep it at the recommended level. I was dumb when I made mine and now I have an air line hooked up to my venturi and added a needle wheel to the pump to make lots of micro bubbles :)