1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Octopus skimmer users

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lee, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Any of you tired of those little foam rings that always fall down the outlet pipe and then you get water that splashes
    everywhere?  Maybe not all of you had that problem but this always bugged me about this skimmer, and I was too
    cheap to do the gatevalve mod.  However, I think I may have found a cheap fix for this:
    http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~SearchStr~asm~action~view~idProduct~AG1543~idCategory~FIPSRPAP~category~Outlet_foam_for_ASM_G_1_w__G_500_Pump__G_1X__G_2__G_3_Protein_Skimmers_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Protein_Skimmers_Replacement_Parts_ASM_Parts~vendor~.html
    This is what the ASM skimmers use, (which is basically the same design as the octo's) and it seems to work well.
    Let me know what you think.  I was also thinking you could get a block of soft foam and maybe DIY one.

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Lee, just thought of this, it might work. Just take a ziptie and place it right below your rings. It might help support them and keep them from sliding on you.

Just a thought.

3. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have an ASM G2 with the foam cuff dealy, but I just did the gate valve mod /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif The mod is so easy and the most expensive part was the the gate valve. Otherwise, it was just a bunch of pvc pipe, an elbow and a tee........I'd do the mod Lee /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

4. Wenszoo

Wenszoo Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have had no problem with the foam rings on mine. what is this mod and does anybody have pics?

5. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got tired of those foam rings on mine too.  It ended up being such a hassle and one more thing to clean occasionally.  What I ended up doing was going to the hardware store and buying this soft grey rubber universal "U" thingy that I put on top of that pipe and it diverts it back down again.  It isn't perfect (if air gets trapped in that inverted U after stopping my skimmer, I give it a squeeze and get the air bubble out.  Cheap fix for under 5 dollars.

6. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    gate valve mod works good, you can really dial in the level on the skimmer and there is no water noise coming from the skimmer at all because the outlet is under water.

7. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    I did the ziptie, it kinda works but slides down the pipe.
    casey

8. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I took four small peices of 1/4 ro line about a 1/2 long, glued them to the stand pipe in a north, south, east, west pattern. I did this twice, omce so two foam peices would be flush with the top and then lower so theres about an inch of space between the foam blocks. I found that it not only holds the foam in place but it makes the noise level considerably lower. I can take pics if someone really needs them.

9. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'd like to see a picture of the gatevalve mod please 

10. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By RobynT on 02/07/2008 12:23 PM
    I'd like to see a picture of the gatevalve mod please 
    i used a shutoff not a gatevalve, same thing though. everything is 1.5 inch.
    the black rubber thing is pretty common in a hardware store, it comes with a metal clamp on each end to tighten onto pipe, you just remove them.
    you just remove the telescoping part of the octo riser and slip the black rubber part onto whats left of the riser, nothing is permanently modified to your skimmer, it can be put back to factory.
    you dont glue anything either, so it can be manipulated once in the sump, no pressure so no leaks.
    if you decide to do this mod, ill give you more details. its simple.
    cigs are optional.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    If you're looking for the "little rubber thingy" I believe they're called a fernco so you know what to ask for. They're pretty much used to connect galvanized or cast pipe to PVC.

12. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here's my gate valve mod:
    /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif