1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

October GIRS meeting

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by billbigsbe, Sep 29, 2008.

1. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Lets start here. If you dont have time just let us know we all know that life gets crazy, just keep in better contact.

2. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    If it's alright with everyone lets hold up on the plans for a few hours. I would like to contact Ryan H. He may be out of the country right now. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif He is our trustee and has the MONEY! JK, I want to make sure we follow the right protocol so the event is as good as it can be. I will reply back tonight or in the morning.

3. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Joel,

Ryan has no issues with us taking the initiative ourselves. Most of the meetings we have aren't club funded so that's a non issue.
    As far as his status, last I heard he was just working his *** off and hadn't had much time for much else.

4. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    OK, I have talked with Ryan H a bit. Lets get things started.
    The date of October 26th was mentioned. Does that NOT work for anyone who would like to attend?
    Here are some possibilities for ideas:
    Tank Tour
    Possible Controller discussion and demo?
    Water quality discussion and forum. This could be very useful for newer people. This could also wait for another meeting.
    Overall DIY strategy?
    For the tank tour I would propose:
    Starting at my House near Boone (with possible controller discussion and demo, possibly DIY stuff). If this is too far to come I understand.
    Then on to a couple of local reefers possibly in Ankeny. I will have to talk to them, you know who you are! I also notice there is new blood in Nevada.
    Then maybe to Ryan #3 (ZLTFUL) in Altoona.
    From there I think we try to talk who is considered to have the premium tank in the area into a visit.
    Then others can chime in with offers to see their tanks. I know Cagri has just moved livestock into his 300+ setup.
    And we end up at Dave's for whatever his hospitality has planned for us.
    Also, It might be a good idea to have an earlier mid-week mid-October meeting. I have some office space we could use to have a water quality and parameters forum and discussion. I am thinking with all those tanks to see in the tank tour there is no way we will get to this. I was talking to another member today and we thought this may be a good learning discussion for old and new members. There is also a great bar within walking distance for refreshments afterward.
    SO! What say everyone .... lets get things rolling into Frag Fest!!!

5. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Please let me know as soon as you all get the dates finalized. I'm going to be sending out a mass email to all of our website users soon mentioning Fall Fest and the tank tours.

-JB

6. reefgoon09

reefgoon09 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Cagri's new tank is awsome! I am taking his 135 off his hands. Jelous though of that tank! It looks like it is going to be awsome!

7. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Does that mean you are in for the 26th?!
    We now have two participants:
    jtesdall
    Reefgoon09

8. reefgoon09

reefgoon09 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well hopefully I will be able to! My job( I am a business owner) depends on the weather and if one day doesn't go right my whole schedule gets messed up =(

9. Nykademus

Nykademus Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Its not ToTM material, but my tank is not bad and everyone would be welcome to stop by my place in Carlisle at the end(ish) of the tour if it gets that far south.

I for one think that a few discussions or demonstrations could do great things. Everyone has questions about something. Aside from the topics mentioned I would like to put another one out there. Water chemistry, its a broad topic that easily confuses people when they first start researching it, but it happens to be the most important. The controller idea is a good one as well.

Joel's place would be a good place to start and to talk about the controller since he has his utilizing most of the functions a controller is capable of, on a multiple tank system.

I'm in!

10. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ok we have:
    Reefgoon09
    Nykademus
    jtesdall
    Whos's next?
    Ryan (#1 or #3)?
    Dave (Billbigsbe1)?

11. cowdust9

cowdust9 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    im down i would love to come and maybe we could get jj to show off his stuff cause its great!!!

12. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    I'm very interested in seeing other people's tanks and having some discussion.  My only feedback would be that it sounds like you may be trying to work too much into one meeting.  I'd be in favor of fewer tanks (3 or maybe 4) with enough time to talk about what's in them and/or the equipment set-up.  Maybe guess at what can be accomplished in a set amount of time (? @ 2 hrs), with then some social time.  Also need to factor in the driving time.  Don't have to see everyone's tank in one night.  Maybe another try at regular meetings - and rotate the tanks that are visited - so that we could visit most folks that are interested over the course of 6 months or a year.
    The 26th will work for me, so count me in. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/rolleyes.gif
    I'm also open to a separate evening for discussion on water chemistry or another of the topics you listed.  I think I have a good handle on things, but my knowledge is all from books, so I would love to confirm what I think I know with what others are actually doing - such as the various perspectives on the use of activated carbon.  Dates that wouldn't work for me in Oct are Oct 14, 15, 16, and the 28th.

13. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    John Shhhh, its a secret! Lets get a bunch of people signed up and then just ring his doorbell. What choice will he have? [​IMG]

Thanks Beckerj3. I agree with not trying to do everything, I am
    just shooting high and hoping to get about four tanks on the tour. I am glad
    you would like to have a separate discussion night. Maybe we could do
    this at 6pm on Tuesday the 21st??

Tank Tour - October 26th 10am

Reefgoon09 (not sure)
    Beckerj3 (not sure)
    Nykademus (Jeremy)

Cowdust9 (John)
    jtesdall (Joel)
    Water Chemistry Discussion - October 21st 6PM (Date not in stone yet)
    Nykademus
    jtesdall
    beckerj3

14. nielsen2773

nielsen2773 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am in! We can stop by my house if you want too.

15. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    is the 26th the day + pm me directions to boone thanks

16. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think the 26th is set now unless someone objects. But it seems like many are signed up, so unless there is a good reason I say we go with that. I figure folks from Des Moines can car pool to my place like last year. I have a pretty detailed map as I have parties every year. I will send it as we get closer or you can get it at the meeting on the 21st (if that ends up being the date). PM me email addresses so I can attach a map to at least the drivers.
    Does anyone want to volunteer to drive? Especially if you have a minivan?
    Dave, Ryan, John and ReefGoon, Can you make it on the 21st for the Water chem discussion? We will have it in Clive at my offices I think.
    Tank Tour - October 26th 10am
    billbigsbe1 (Dave)
    neilsen2773 (Ryan)

Reefgoon09 (not sure)
    Beckerj3 (not sure)
    Nykademus (Jeremy)

Cowdust9 (John)
    jtesdall (Joel)
    Water Chemistry Discussion - October 21st 6PM (Date not in stone yet)
    Nykademus
    jtesdall
    beckerj3

17. cagri

cagri Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Joel,
    Looks like we have enough people for the tour, but If people are interested in seeing my new  tank, mine can be included in the tour as well.
    reefgoon09, I will see you tomorrow morning, I cleaned the tank today, and it is ready.

18. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Cagri,
    Do you want go on the tour as well? What about the meeting on the 21st?
    By the way, of the people that have signed up, who's tanks are we seeing? This is what I think we have so far.
    Mine north of Boone (It will be two - three hours of the trip to come to mine with 2 hours drive time, so we can drop me if neccesary)
    Ryan Nielsen in Ankeny
    Nykademus (Jeremy) in Carlise
    Cagri in Urbandale
    billbigsbe1 (Dave) in ?? with a cookout afterward??

19. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    The 21st would work for me for a water chemistry discussion.
    With all the interest in the tank tour, maybe we should consider two tour dates - with one date just for going to Boone to tour Joel's tank and then a discussion topic or DIY project; and a 2nd date to tour the other 3-5 tanks closer together in the Des Moines area.  Just my two cents worth.
    And by the way, my name is Jeanette.

20. cagri

cagri Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Joel,

Yes I would like to go on the tour as well.

As for 21th, that is a tuesday right??? what time? I can only do it after 6:30pm during work week.