1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

octo tank?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cowdust9, Feb 27, 2009.

1. cowdust9

cowdust9 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    had anyone tried to do an octo tank i have a chance to get one not sure what kind it is but they say its a pygmy so just wondering if anyone knows anything about the tank that i will need?

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    The only thing I know is that you have to have a very tight lid that locks with plenty of rockwork to hide in.

I would love to come see it if you get it.

3. Rustin

Rustin Inactive User GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ive been wanting to get one forever. Im pretty sure you want an acrylic tank so it doesnt break the glass. There is a great article on keeping cephalopods in the marine fish and reef 2009 annual magazine. Your biggest problem will be geting one alive cause they dont ship well. They also have a short lifespan of 1-2 yrs max maybe less and not cause its in a tank its just there normal life span. Let me know if you decide to do this I would love to help.

4. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I researched a bit on getting one. Only when I do get one, I have to let my daughter and wife get a kitty too.

There's some canadian website called Tonho.com or something like that that is a really good octo forum.

5. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i've thought about getting one but for the reason that they don't live long i decided not to, they are a very intelligent and cool animal and i'm sure i'd get attached. If you do get one, keep in mind that they can squeeze through anything the size of their beak, so every hole has to be filled and you have to figure something out for your overflow.

6. cowdust9

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah i got a 14 gal bio cube i wasn thinking of putting like plastic screen over the back and overflow im just not sure how long that tank would be cool for one

7. Rustin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    http://www.tonmo.com/ great website

8. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Rustin14 on 02/28/2009 08:01 AM
    http://www.tonmo.com/ great website
    I knew it was something like that.  I was just to lazy to search for it.
    I spent more hours on that site reading threads than I ever have on RC.

9. cowdust9

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah i got a 65 gal coming that im going to use for some fish untill i can get my big tank up, i was thinking when i got the big tank up i would use that for the octo tank

10. ckoeppel

ckoeppel Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I used to keep blue ringed octopus and everyone is right. They can get through anything bigger then their beak. This includes overflows and filter lines. They are extremely smart and relentless. the tank I used that worked the best was a hex that was deep so you could pile live rock pretty high but not to the top. Good luck they are fun!

11. cowdust9

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    that sucks i just tossed a hex lol

12. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Heh, aren't the blue ring octo's the ones that can kill you in like 2 minutes or am I thinking of something else?

-JB

13. cowdust9

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    that would be a pretty crazy pet to have lol

14. Rustin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just read an article on the blue rings. said they have enough venom to kill 10 humans and even the tank water can cause rashes and dizziness. I like octos but i dont wanna die man!

15. cowdust9

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah they are really cool but yeah that would not be a good one

16. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I use to have one and I got by with basic overflow filters with a pice of foam over the intake and tight fiting glass tops. Everyone is right they only live a year or two but it is worth it if you don't have to pay that much for one.

17. cowdust9

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah 18 bucks

18. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    They have been know to leave their tank, go into your other tanks and eat the inhabitants, and then return back to their tank. I've also heard of them squeezing under doors.

19. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Haha, sounds fun:
    When the threat is unavoidable, the Blue-ringed octopus ejects a neuromuscular venom that contains maculotoxin and tetrodotoxin which cause paralysis. This poison is fatal and more potent than any poison found in land animals. Human victims can be saved if artificial respiration begins quickly; however there is no known antidote and the only treatment is ongoing heart massage and artificial respiration until the poison dissapates (usually in 24 hours with no ill-effects).

http://marinebio.org/species.asp?id=403

20. ckoeppel

ckoeppel Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah, the blue ringed are nothing to mess with.  They will kill you.  This just gives you all the more reason to make sure they can't escape.[​IMG]