1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Fall Fest [Oct 8, 2016] Fall Fest 2016! (Iowa City, IA)

Discussion in '2016' started by Greater Iowa Reef Society, Jun 6, 2016.

1. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    Put me down for a premium table

2. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Any info on hotels... is there a discounted rate anywhere?

3. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    We don't have anything arranged at this point. What I've found in trying to book a block of rooms for the last few fests is that the hotels actually tend to give out a higher per-room rate for a block of rooms compared to what you can get just by booking a room online. So setting up a block of rooms usually ends up not being worth the effort when you throw in all the hoops they make you jump through. But give us a week and we'll see what can be done.

For FF15 I just called the cheapo hotel and they told me to just have people call and ask for the "corporate rate" and mention the event, they didn't actually set aside a block of rooms. The mid-range and higher-end hotels offered no appreciable "deal".

A block usually has to be set up a few month in advance and then gets released a few weeks out if they haven't been booked. With no game in IA City that weekend I don't know that room availability will be an issue.

4. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    How about maybe a list from someone in that area of hotels close by that are nice and not run down dumps.

Thats really what I want I get a military discount so I dont care about group rating lol

5. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Here's a couple that were mentioned in the planning group:

Hampton Inn Iowa city which is like 1/2 mile away

Sheraton Downtown Iowa City which is always fun

@LiLNicky@LiLNicky @MadManMadrid@MadManMadrid any others you would recommend?

6. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    The Hampton and Alexis park end are the closes to the venue but there is a Mariot in coralville which is nice

7. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    Others than the Mariot I don't know what the others are like

8. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    So just reading this more there is no setup the night before?

9. violet21chewy Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines area
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    Den and I will take a hobbyist table. Thanks!

10. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Nope, no set up the night before. We're trying to focus this one more on the club and it's members. Simplify things and treat it more like a frag swap from the early days of the club. No commercial vendors, no speakers. Just get together, swap frags, talk tanks and enjoy some good food. If it doesn't work as expected then we'll make some changes and try again next time.

11. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    So what time is setup?

The good thing about setup the night before is if anything goes wrong you have time to try to fix it where as setup same day you dont. Our corals are just as good as the "commercial vendors"

I really think that should be reconsidered I have to drive 2 hrs like most and would rather come the night before rather then early in the morning

12. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I haven't seen where the setup time has been finalized. But I would guess there would be at least a few hours available for people to get set-up and ready. Part of it will depend on what Bronson is willing to do as well. It's his building that he is offering for the event.
    Again this is more of an event to get a group of hobbyists together and have fun. Low key, small scale, focus on the club and it's members and having a fun day BSing with fellow hobbyists.

13. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    So a couple hours to heat the cold water and setup?

I get the fact that it is about the hobbyist which every frag swap imo is so not sure how this one is different

14. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    @LiLNicky@LiLNicky @MadManMadrid@MadManMadrid did you see this to add them to the list?

15. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Hope you figure out the setup time soon that will be contingent on if I need a table anymore.

A couple hrs us not enough time to setup, heat the water, and arrange things imo

16. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I said "at least a few hours", and you took it as only a couple. We will obviously take set up time into account and do our best to give adequate time for people to get ready. If you want to come in the night before and get a hotel close by you could probably get everything set up pretty good so the cold water wouldn't be an issue. Granted that doesn't give you the extra time for the corals to settle into the tank and open up, but it solves your temperature concerns.

17. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    K thanks

Packing up a bunch of corals for them not to open up cause of the inadequate time to allow them to doesn't make sense.

But please get back with me in adequate time of the setup time.

I'll go either to sell and walk around or to just walk around.

Thanks again

18. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I just posted in the committee thread asking the guys to get that hammered out.

19. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
  20. LiLNicky Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +197 / 4 / -0
    I just texted Bronson about the night before setup but I cant imagine it will be an issue. I keep this posted. @blackx-runner@blackx-runner yes i added them to the list. As of right now I have 6 tables accounted for. I will like to know how any extra tables I will need....ie for the front desk.. and tables for the cooking people??? Will we need chairs or are we still going by everyone bringing there own chair??? @xroads@xroads ???