1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Oceanic Illuminata Rimless Aquariums / LFS?

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by Deleted member 397, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Deleted member 397

Deleted member 397 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I plan on calling a couple LFS tomorrow, but I was curious if anyone knew of a shop that had the new Oceanic Illuminata rimless tanks in stock?
    And a side question so not to double post, but who/where in IA are some of the best shops for reef livestock? I was not very impressed by the local shops around Des Moines.

2. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you get the chance to come to the QC area, check out Aquatic Environments.

3. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Sea of Marvels in Iowa City is one of the best shops. Iowa Pet Foods and Seascapes is getting better and better but we have got to support them by going in and purchasing for them to continue. Brett at Petland is also doing a heck of a job in building up their reef presence and is definately worth checking out if you haven't already.
    Scott and Tim at Iowa Pets should be able to get the Oceanic tank for you but it wouldn't be in stock.

4. mdk014

mdk014 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Did you stop by Adam's Aquatics on 42nd? They have a good selection. I learned about Petland today and Brett there is awesome! They have some great corals at great prices. I used to live in Bettendorf and shopped Aquatic Enviroments all the time. The selection at Adam's here in Des Moines is similar to that of Aquatic Enviroments in Davenport.

5. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have not seen one in the DSM area. I am sure either Iowa Seascapes or Adams Aquatics could get you one... Adams is going to cost you more.

6. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    AND Iowa Pet Food and Seascapes is Strong supporter of GIRS as is Brett and Petland. They both give the club great support and prices so it would be good to give them as much support as possible. I don't know if Brett can get Oceanic but I know Scott and Tim can.

7. Greenonion

Greenonion

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Aquatic environments should have them in stock in a couple weeks.

8. Deleted member 397

Deleted member 397 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, much appreciated!
    I am hesitant to shop at SeaScapes simply due to their severe lack of customer service. I have been in the shop on three different occasions. Each time, not one employee gave me the time of day. First visit, the staff were at the registers busy chit chatting with each other, second visit, the person who maintained the fish area was surfing the internet on a laptop and third visit absolutely no one said anything at all.  Third visit was just this past Saturday.
    At Adam's the staff at least greeted and asked if they could help, but it seemed like their duties were more interesting than offering assistance. I have known Adam way back when he had his shop on Euclid next to the Pizza Hut. He spent a lot of time in the shop back then. I think it would be good to see him at his shop more often.
    Too bad Nidy's still isn't around like the good old days or Jana in Altoona!
    Sorry, I don't mean to gripe. I lived in Kansas City for a period and am used to the fish stores there. Lots of helpful people who like to chat about the hobby and offer information.

9. nuccatree

nuccatree

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    SliceGolfer...great feedback about your experience. As a small business owner, I really appreciate any feedback that would let me see what is going on with my employees...I just hope that the owner was not the one you experienced. If so, changes will not happen. This also allows employees of other shops be aware of their actions at the shop and know theey are being watched, even if the person that is writing the checks are not.
    As tomy recommendations....AE has always been superb