1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

November meeting

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by IowaDiver, Nov 10, 2008.

1. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I just thought I'd start a thread about the November meeting to find out dates and ideas.
    I think I'm available most any time though we might want to rule out week of Thanksgiving.
    As for ideas, one I have for this or a future meeting is a DIY meeting called something like "Working with Acrylic". It would be about basic skills to make acrylic items such as viewboxes, fishtraps, sumps etc. It is probably too late for November to plan this one though.

2. kyle

kyle Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I like that idea for a program. Would come in handy at times.

3. cowdust9

cowdust9 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i'd kinda like to see joel make one of those skimmers

4. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I am thinking November may be too tight with Frag Fest and TDay.
    I was thinking maybe pushing back until December. I am out of town the second week so I was thinking the first or second week in December.
    I have not worked with Acrylic so I cannot lead that, if someone else has great.
    I am going to begin my new skimmer build, a triple water bottle Dual Beckett skimmer. I have studied and messed with my skimmer builds quite a bit so that is something I could do or add or just plain talk about. These type of builds usually have so much dry time involved it will b hard to have a meeting from scratch. Also, so many tools are involved unless we have have it at the house that is building it.
    I may have my new skimmer built by then, so I could bring my old skimmer and some skimmate to talk about how they function and see it work. If the timeing is right I could also bring the new build. But of course I don't even know if it will work and it will be driven with a 4700 GPH Dolphin pump so I would need to bring my new 55 gallon sump.

5. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    December then. It will give us more time to come up with a plan for what the meeting will be about.

6. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    What about December 4th, 6 PM at my office again? Does that not work for anyone that wants to come.
    Here are the ideas again I listed in the October thread:
    Two Part DIY meeting
    DIY Skimmer meeting
    General DIY project meeting
    Controller and Automation Discussion (top-off, water changes etc.)
    Soft Coral species meeting
    Hard Coral Species meeting
    Fish Species meeting
    If anyone is familiar with acrylic that would b great, but I think we would need to move this to someones house. My office isn't a good place for tools and strong adhesives.

7. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Two Part DIY meeting
    Controller and Automation Discussion (top-off, water changes etc.)

Here are a couple that I am interested in - Really any are good for me but above are my top two.

8. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I posted a new survey thread for what our topic should be. Please also post on if December 4th works for you.