1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

nitrate reactor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bzishka, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Bzishka

Bzishka Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i heard of a thing called a nitrate reactor that helps get rid of the nitrates in a tank, i was wondering if anybody knew anything about these, how they work and any do it yourself ideas?

2. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The best nitrate reactor is a DSB and monthly water changes /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif I've heard something about them, but never really though they were necessary in a well maintained tank

3. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Here ya go this is what I use, It works awsome! A couple of friends also use them in well maintained tanks!

http://www.midwestaquatic.com/PRODUCTS/sulfur_denitrifier.htm?gclid=CIOT3uao2JkCFSQMDQodEAjKWg

4. Bzishka

Bzishka Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    340 some odd dollars, that a lot of money for a poor guy like myself, lol looks like a nice reacter, how big a tank you have it hooked up to.

5. Reefdumb

Reefdumb Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I read the forums on the Nitrate reactor and saw this on DeNitrating coils.  I'm going to try it
    A solution to Nitrate issues that is starting to catch on are De-nitrator coils. there are several commercial units on the market ranging in price form $70 to $300+. While expensive, these products are effective. But wouldnt you rather spend that hard earned $$$ on fish or corals? De-Nitrator coils are basically a very long piece of tubing coiled up inside a tube or canister with a slow low pressure flow rate. the tubing provides a surface for which the bacteria can attach themselves. in the first third or so of the tubing, you have the Ammonia processing bacteria. these bacteria use some of the oxygen in the water to turn the Ammonia into Nitrite. the second third of the tubing houses the Nitrite processing bacteria. THis bacteria uses the remaining oxygen in the tubed water to process the Nitrite into Nitrate. By this time, the water has been depleted of its oxygen content and the NItrate processing bacteria are allowed to thrive and thus process the NItrate into soluble nitrogen gas which is then expelled at the water surface of the tank or sump.
    Knowing these principals, you can build a coil for under $30 not including a pump. mine cost me $22! I bought a 60ft length of 1/4 inside diameter black pvc tubing at Tractor supply Company. it cost me $.22 a foot. I then took a 24" piece of 4" PVC pipe and purchased 2 4"endcaps. I drilled 2 holes just large enought for the tubing to fit thru in one of these caps. I rolled up the tubing neatly and stuffed it into the pipe and ran the two tag ends of the tubing out of the cap with the holes. I then purchased a inline air valve (like used with aquarium air pump) and placed in on one end of the tubing so that I could control the water flow. the other end I hooked up to an existing pump with a low pressure outlet, but several here have used a 4gph fountain pump. I have mine adjusted to about 3-4 drops per second. That is all there is to it.
    it will take about 6 weeks or so for the unit to become fully functional (cycle), but from what we have discovered, these devices work wonders on reducing nitrates.
    Parts List:
    50-60ft 1/4" pvc (air hose) tubing
    24" section of 4" pvc drain pipe and 2 end caps (have heard of some using a large coffee can)
    1 adjustable air valve
    4gph fountain pump

6. Bzishka

Bzishka Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    wow i will have to try it, do you think i could just roll the hose up in a bucket and put a small pump on one end to draw the water in? then just let it trickle out of the other hose end into my sump?, and how much hose is a good amount? would more then 60ft be sufficiant?

7. Reefdumb

Reefdumb Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=752497&perpage=25&pagenumber=2

Here is the thread I found it on. It loads up on the 2nd page. The info I found is on the 1st page.

It said it takes about 6 weeks to be cycled and taking care of Nitrates

8. Reefdumb

Reefdumb Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm going to try and set it up as a syphon out of the main tank through the hose to drip into my sump. Not sure how that will work just thinking

9. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    have fun sucking on 60 feet of hose

10. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I wish you all the luck in the world. I have built one of these and they will work but .... They are very hard to adjust and take way too long to kick in before you know if it is working. I still have a 3 foot piece of 3" PVC wrapped with 200 ft of 1/4 black tubing and yes it cost about $50. One of you guys want it for $20??
    I finally gave up on trying to adjust this thing and found a used Sulfur De-nitrator, the same one Dave just recommended. It takes 3 days to start working and then you just let it run. They are great.
    And yes, you can keep Nirates down with a well maintained tank, but when you want to run a very high bioload especially with a 240 gallon agressive tank hooked to the system the De-nitrator is a must or a Hellish skimmer like JJ's, which by the way is where both Daves and my DeNitrators came from before JJ got the skimmer from he$$.
    If I were going to do a DIY again there is no doubt it would be a sulfur denitrator. There are plans on RC. It blows away a coil denitrator in the simple fact in breaks in in three days!! You can build them with RO cannisters.
    Just my 2 cents.

11. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    JJ has a awsome Volcano reactor that could be retrofited easy...

12. Bzishka

Bzishka Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hey everyone look what i found http://www.squidoo.com/Reef-Aquarium-How-To#module21601672
    a healthy helpful cheap alternative, i will set one up and see what happens, keep you posted

13. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Some people also call that an undergravel filter, bzishka.
    I'd also do a little more research before jumping into adding this to your tank.
    Pros and cons

14. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    A plenum isn't actually an undergravel filter as I understand it. Although there are similar characteristics. The one characteristic missing is the creation of flow or suction to suck things down under your substrate.
    This is an old and highly used method of nitrate reduction although I have not seen anyone use it in a long time. A Deep Sand Bed or DSB seems to be what has replaced this concept. Although there are many criticisms of a DSB but it is my preferred method.

15. Bzishka

Bzishka Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    lol undergravel filter, i guess i spaced that one out, i was just gonne make a clear plastic box and bury it under my sand, possibly the bottom of an old milk carton with holes, no pump or nothing

16. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Haha, sounded like an undergravel filter without suction to me /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif That's really the only difference, no water flow. I'd say the sulphur denitrator is the way to go, though. It'd be hella easy to make. Even easier than a skimmer /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif