1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Nice !!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by glaspie69, Jan 20, 2008.

1. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    So I was traveling the boards this morning and noticed something kinda fun, I don't mind selling corals to people getting started but if this is going to be the end result I think it's time to shut my fragging down to locals and go back to shipping. It's one thing to buy a coral, grow it out, and then sell the frag but to try selling the frag a day before you even pick it up from the original seller? and sell for twice the price? Consider my door shut.
    http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?p=2434232#post2434232

2. Nykademus

Nykademus Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So you are going to stop selling stuff to people who haven't wronged you for doing something with a coral that was somebody else's, did I read that right? Or did you possibly mean something else?

3. reeffreak3652

reeffreak3652 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hahaha thats good stuff

4. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Incase it didn't make much sense I'll give you the run down, basically Robyn sold some corals because they outgrew her tank, Bighack tenitively bought them and resold them a day before they were even to be picked up and tried reselling them for over twice the oringinal asking price. The coral is yours after you buy it and what you do with it is your business, I just think it's kinda shady and disrespectful.

5. hopper75

hopper75

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This might be the guy (Bighack6900) that didn't even show up at the meeting to buy RobynT's green cap yesterday. If it is that's pretty rotten, don't need that going on within the club.

6. hopper75

hopper75

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ya beat me to the punch glaspie

7. Nykademus

Nykademus Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By glaspie69 on 01/20/2008 12:41 PM
    Incase it didn't make much sense I'll give you the run down, basically Robyn sold some corals because they outgrew her tank, Bighack tenitively bought them and resold them a day before they were even to be picked up and tried reselling them for over twice the oringinal asking price. The coral is yours after you buy it and what you do with it is your business, I just think it's kinda shady and disrespectful.
    Oh I agree with something like that being underhanded, I was just suprised that you would cut out the locals for the actions of one person... I hope you reconsider.

8. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    That's pretty much what he's been doing since he found RC. He buys something and then parts everything out and doubles his money on everything. I think he's up to 3 different user names on RC now. I could be mistaken but I've seen a couple different posts where the "wrong" person posted something that one of the other ones would have said. (not sure if that makes since)

BigHack2006
    saltwater6900
    jsbass

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    saltwater did show up, he was just late. he was picking stuff up for his friend actually, so as far as i know. i probably didnt even know about it.

ive also met jsbass, who is none of those people. jsbass lives in coralville (or IC, i dont know what youd consider it) so he couldve come to buy the coral himself.

and, bighack. idk... ive talked to him on the chat, i cant say anything about him because i dont know him...but, yeah.

anyways, yeah, that does suck. no doubt about that.

10. Benji

Benji Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    that is classy..
    perhaps an addendum to the club's bylaws is necessary in regards to ethical behavior and the unauthorized use of intellectual property.

11. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    probably roomies at one of the colleges.

12. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    This is kind of a slippery slope that we need to be careful on. If this person is not a club member, it's going to be hard to blame him for buying something and turning around and selling it for more. People do that all the time and there is nothing wrong with it. The club doesn't have any control over the actions of non-members, nor should it.
    In my opinion, it's really up to the club member who is selling stuff to decide if they want to sell to someone or not.
    I do agree with Benji that maybe some guidelines should be written regarding this type of stuff. The club exists to benefit it's members and it shouldn't be something non-members can use as a profit center.
    -JB

13. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Posted By heartben on 01/20/2008 1:12 PM
    saltwater did show up, he was just late. he was picking stuff up for his friend actually, so as far as i know. i probably didnt even know about it.

ive also met jsbass, who is none of those people. jsbass lives in coralville (or IC, i dont know what youd consider it) so he couldve come to buy the coral himself.

and, bighack. idk... ive talked to him on the chat, i cant say anything about him because i dont know him...but, yeah.

anyways, yeah, that does suck. no doubt about that.
    Well it's possible that they may not be the same person but I'm sure they're really good friends/roomates or something.  Because I can name at least 2 or 3 dif. setups that they've bought just to turn around and piece them out and turn a profit.
    JB has a very good point.  It's not really the job of the club to monitor this and take corrective action.  It's up to all of us to watch out for each other and it's very nice of Jason Glaspie to point out that other thread to us so we can remember the individual that did this to start out with and never to do business with them.
    Some of us just have ethics and others are just pukes and out to make money off the rest of us I guess.  I never really thought something like this would hit inside of the club but some people are just that way I guess.  /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sick.gif
    Thanks for pointing that other thread out Mr. Glaspie!!!  /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/cool.gif
    Hey JB is there a way to block peoples posts on the web software we have?  That way when a particular person posts you don't even see there post?  I know you can do it on RC wasn't sure if we could do it on here.

14. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ouch. I really hate to see people take advantage of generosity like that. Thanks for pointing that out Jason.

15. Bullet

Bullet Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The same thing happened to me on a frogspawn. I sold a huge piece that I could have easily fragged for 5X's more but the person wanted a "showpiece". Then the next day they fragged it out and sold it all for big bucks. I was torn too about that. After all...I did sell it and after that it is theirs. What bugged me about it was the lie that they wanted a "showpiece". Needless to say, I never sold anything else to that person and told others to watch their back.

16. Benji

Benji Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    maybe a sub-folder/forum could be placed under the b/s/t folder designated for feedback [good/bad/warnings]pertaining to transactions of all types[online vendors/lfs/local reefers]

i too sold to one of the noted aliases as a ''package deal'' which was later parted out[listed before payment was received, but had already shipped]...if this info was known and there was a pattern to their behavior i would have avoided the buyer.

17. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i think if someone has been around awhile you would know who they were, most people that are not into bleeding a club for profit will share their experience in the hobby with everyone.
    i can tell who is here for what just by their posts.

if theres money to be made, this will always happen, no matter whats involved.

if you think you were taken advantage of, just never deal with the person again.

18. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Touchy ground for sure. In one sense it is kind of unethical to purchase something and break it up on false pretense. But as long as the seller has got their asking price there is not much more then an ethical question at hand.
    This kind of activity though would likely be considered commercial in nature and will not be allowed on this site on the threads or in chat. Selling your own corals that you have grown and fragged is fine, but buying something with intent to resale immediately with no other intent then profit is commercial activity and not acceptable outside of the sponsor forum on this site and then only by registered commercial members.
    Billy

19. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If this person was paying straight up prices I would have to say more power to him. The problem arises when you are claiming to be part of a close knit group with similar interests so that you can get "good deals" and turn a profit. The "good deals" are given as the items are expected to be enjoyed in another member's tank and the over all benefit of the "good deal" would be to the betterment of the club NOT for personal profit. The good nature of the seller is being exploited in this case. I believe this action should be grounds for loss of membership to the club as it undermines the integrity and harmony we are trying to promote within our group. It is things like this that destroy good natured sharing among friends.

20. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow!  I just got home after being out of town all day and came across this thread.  I will put in my two cents since I was the seller involved.
    I had several corals that I was selling because they outgrew my tank.  I posted prices (very reasonable prices I thought) and everyone had an opportunity to buy them and pick them up at the meeting.  Once paid and picked up, the corals are no longer mine and the new owner has full right to do whatever they choose.  The problem comes in that they were being advertised for sale when they were still  owned by me.  Kinda funny really.  When the meeting was about over and I had not heard from BigHack I went to "Plan B" and found other buyers for the corals since I really had no place to put them at home.  As it turns out, BigHack did come to the meeting later.   I would like to say that had Big Hack told me he was going to be late but would be there, I would have held them for him.  I try and treat other people the way I like to be treated myself. 
    I guess the moral of the story is this:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r10/vespa_photos/anne3.jpg

Thanks Jason for bringing this to light and serving as a very good lesson for the future.   And please don't say you won't sell any frags because I want to buy some from you!!