1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

newbee from Cedar Rapids

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by Guest, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone!  I posted this on the new member forum but thought maybe I should post it here instead.  I am in the beginning stages of buying a saltwater tank, probably a 40 galloon or so.  Where is a good place in the area to get tanks/stands??  I'm sure I'll be coming here for help a lot!  Thanks[​IMG]

2. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    To be honest with you, If I was doing this all over again; I would keep my eyes on Craig's list as well as the BST for our forums.
    You can get a much better price on this already expensive hobby if you start with some used equipment.
    Reef Central has an extremely large BST, however, with shipping costs you should only probably purchase side items of off it, such as lights, protein skimmers, pumps, and items of this type.
    If you need any local assistance please don't hesitate to ask.
    I am your local area trustee and always willing to help new members.
    NOTE:  We are having a social event next week, please come by and meet some of the crew.

3. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you can't find a cheap used setup I would recommend checking out Pet's Playhouse, They usually have good prices on new tanks. BoBos on mt Vernon might have some used setups as well.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all your advice!  I have decided to go the Ebay/Craigslist/BST boards for now.  If that falls through for me, I'll try one of the above places you mentioned.  I currently have a bid on Ebay for a 55 galloon tank that's in excellent condition, so keep your fingers crossed for me[​IMG]

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey!  Thanks again for the advice!  Thought I'd let you know I bought a 29 gallon Biocube a couple weeks ago so am no longer looking.  Now I'm ready to get started:)

6. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    good luck man if you need any help let me know. As anyone in the club could probably tell you that I hope you like reading becuase you will be doing alot of it to familarize yourself with your tank. NEVER hesitate to ask people in this club for help as most of us have years of experince with trial and error and are always willing to help a member out that way you dont have the frustration and wasted money as most of us have had at least one or two time in the past.