1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Newb here

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Chris, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Chris

Chris Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys, my name is Chris and I am brand new to the saltwater world.  I currently have two freshwater tanks set up, and am contemplating switching one over to SW.  I have 72 gallon full of African cichlids, and a 29 that I am probably going to switch over.  I live in a house with my wife, dog and cat, and the last three factors affect my ability to get a larger tank to set up[​IMG].  I'm hoping once i get this one setup, the wife will love it and want more.  My plans are to keep jsut a pair of clown fish, some live rock, and live sand in it.  Once things get more comfortable I wouldn't mind adding anenomies, or other fun stuff.  Just don't want to be ill prepared for something like that.  Here is what i am thinking (let me know what you think):
    -29 gallon with glass top, probably build a canopy over the top in the next 6 months
    -20-30 lbs of live rock
    -10-15 lbs of live sand
    -I would like to get away with a rena xp1 (don't have much room under or behind tank for a sump) or canister that is salwater safe (input needed here)
    -I have a 65 w pc light, but will most likely upgrade to a 4 or 6 bulb t5 light
    Here is where I stand in progress.  I am wondering if I should just sell my freshwater stock and supplies I have on the tank.  Cleanse thoroughly, and jsut set up with live rock and live sand, so I can get accustomed to doing saltwater changes, maintenance and just let it cycle for a while.  Would my 65w pc light be ok for that for the time being, given I have no stock in tank?
    I am open to any and all criticism, advice...anything....thanks
    Chris

2. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS, you've come to the right spot!
    It sounds like you have a pretty good plan to get started. One suggestion is that rather than going with a canister filter, get a good HOT protein skimmer. Canister filters will become nitrate factories unless they are cleaned often. A skimmer will pull a lot of organics out of your water. In addition to a skimmer, the biggest help you can get is an RO unit. Tap water has too many impurities that will feed nuisance algaes and make it hard on your livestock. Otherwise you seem to have a pretty good start. The biggest difference I found between SW and FW is how much nitrates you can handle. SW creatures can not tolerate nitrates the way FW can. Take your time, and check here and on reefcentral.com for advice and info.

3. Chris

Chris Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Mark. I may invest in an RO unit further down the line, for the time being I will probably jsut purchase the water and mix it and throw in a powerhead and heater so it will consistent with the tank water, all in a big container.
    Saltwater tanks are more about water movement than external filtration since the live sand and rock is present, correct? So you are saying just skip the canister and go with a skimmer? That would work for filtration need with rocks and sand?
    Any suggestions for HOT Skimmers for a 29 gal? Would a CPR Bakpak2 HOT Protein Skimmer/Bio Filter work well for my needs?
    Thanks again.

4. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    If you have a canister filter already you can use one for mechanical filtration, it will just need weekly cleaning of any filter media. You're correct that the sand and rock do the filtration. With good water movement a lot of organics and fine particles will get skimmed out. If you keep your bioload light and do regular water changes you'll be okay.
    The bakpak skimmers are okay. I've been hearing good things about Octopus skimmers which also have a HOT model.

HTH!

5. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    FWIW I have a bakpak (mainly because I had one on my old tank in California) and it works great. It is on my 10g though so it is considerably oversized for a 10g, which may be why I have decent success. I did have it on a 55g in CA and it seemed to do ok for that as well.

6. Chris

Chris Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the input. I'll probably check to see if anyone is selling either one in a few weeks.

Would a 65w pc light be ok to run on just live rock and sand or would I have to upgrade right away?

7. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    That will be fine to start. If you decide you want to keep corals down the road you'll probably want to up the lighting.

Whatever you get for skimmer, lighting etc. don't go cheap. I'll bet every one on this forum has had at least one instance where they tried to get by cheap and ended up paying more in the end. You'll save money in the long run.

8. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    +1 on my skimmer
    +1 X 3 on lights