1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New Website Software...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JB, Feb 6, 2009.

1. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    We've just got some long awaited software upgrades for our website that will introduce some great new capabilities that I think everyone is going to love.
    I'm going to installing them tonight (friday 2/6) so you might experience some minor problems with the site.
    I don't know how much of the new stuff will be obvious until I get a chance to get it all configured, but I'll post any updates to this thread as I have stuff ready for people to try out...
    -JB
    AND P.S. - Get those PM's cleaned out.   We're about to switch to a new PM system.

2. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for devoting your time to this JB. You are a great webmaster.

3. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes Jason thanks for all the time and effort that you put in to this!!!!!!

Keep up the good work.

4. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Holding Breath......hurry!

5. dzabler

dzabler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the time and effort, site looks great and I have never had any problems.

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I'm still trying to get a handle on how it all works, but I've got same basic stuff setup for testing. Club members should now see a "Beta" tab in the top menu.

Under the Beta Tab You should see 3 Options

GIRS Groups

7. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Jason! Checked out the new apps and they look good.

8. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the feedback everyone...

There are a couple of issues that are preventing me from throwing the switch on this stuff. Once those get worked out (hopefully this week), I will go ahead and make the profile system available to everyone, switch us over to the new PM system and turn on integration with the main forums.

I don't think the "groups" functionality is that useful yet, but I think that will change shortly too. They are still working on some key enhancements and I've been talking to them about how to configure it for our needs.

-JB

9. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    JB, I don't see a rich content editor for the new Messaging system. I also didn't notice a way to lookup members. Did I miss something? From what I saw the current system is much more robust.

10. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Joel,

The rich text editor is missing from the current build. It will be in place in the next update (probably today). You can search from members from the profile list (Click on "User Profiles" under Beta). This offers a much better search and it will be even better once I configure it properly.

Keep in mind that this is not the "end all be all" of the app. This is the very first release of an app that is evolving at a very rapid rate, so you're going to see stuff get added every week or less. I'm guessing that the "Send" view of the messages will eventually let you quickly access the names of your friends (much like Facebook does).

Sticking with the old PM system really isn't an option if we want to move to the new profiles/groups system as it does not have the proper integration points.

On a plus note I managed to write a SQL script that will convert all of our old PM's over to the new system, so nothing will get lost in the switch.

-JB

11. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

On a plus note I managed to write a SQL script that will convert all of our old PM's over to the new system, so nothing will get lost in the switch. 

Nice!

12. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    We recieved a new update to this software last night. It's not perfect yet, but I think I can work around most of the remaining bugs.

I need to adjust a few of the templates over the next few evenings first, but I think we're about ready to go with this...

Beware everyone: THE PM SYSTEM IS ABOUT TO CHANGE

It's different in a lot of ways... Better in most, not quite as good in a few, but it's a necessary change to integrate with the rest of the site upgrades.

-JB

13. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Cool! Thanks for all your hard work on this JB!

--AJ

14. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Your welcome... :)

I could actually use some input from everyone on how the groups, profiles and the new message center should fit into the new menus. I'm trying to figure out the best way to arrange things so that it's easy for both "power" users and people who are new to the site.

Suggestions are welcome.

-JB

15. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Are you planning sometime this weekend to go live? I will look at stuff as always.

16. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey JB,
    Before I would suggest where to put it, I think it would be helpful to understand what they are being proposed to be used for.

--AJ

17. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Well, this is going to get delayed again... While I was cleaning up some of the templates, I found another nasty bug with the new PM system.

Aaron, I guess I'm still working on how exactly we'll use all of the new stuff, but I can tell you this much: All of the regional forums will be tied to a group. In order to post on one of the regional forums, you will need to join it's group. This will give the trustess a better way of communicating with people who are interested in events in their region.

-JB

18. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    JB, I see a problem with this idea. Many times people in other areas make a comment in our regional forum. If they have to register then over time almost everyone who is active may be a member. This de4feats the purpose. Does it have to be required to Join to post? I would rather see when people join the club they set their regional membership group. Then when we launch we the trustees can run through and set peoples group membership by city initially. Could be tough but I think would work better in the long run.

19. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Joel,

I see your point and I don't disagree. Trustees will be able to send group invites to users in their area. The only problem with that is that it requires action to be taken on the trustees part and we all know how people get busy and things (even simple ones) fall off the radar.

I probably won't set it up to require joining a group to post, but we'll have to see how the groups work without that requirement.

-JB