1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New to this Forum

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by iowareef, Mar 19, 2008.

1. iowareef

iowareef Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My name is Josh.
    I'm in NE CR on the West end of Blairs Ferry Rd out towards Palo.  I have a 210.  Ordered most of what I have from GARF and have been pretty happy with it.  I have some clowns and anenemones.  Looking to get rid of one clown (cinomon that is hosting in my long T but my Clarki was there first and took better care of it).  I try to keep a good natural balance.  Not sure if the sulphur denitrator is natrual or an unnatural of being natural but I've just added it to the tank with good results after some floods and rotton egg smells that I think are all worked out.  The nitrates dropped so fast I think my soft tree corals did not like it.  They have been small and droopy ever since it kicked in.  Although the main piece that the others dropped from seemed to be acting this way before it.  Which leads me to my first question for the group.
    It what point will High Calcium start to cause ill affects?  Tests say upper 500's.
    I also have lots of extra Reef Rock.  Biger sized pieces that are good for shelves and tables.  Let me know if you would like to work out a trade.  There is probably 50-100 lbs.  It is not all in my tank.  Most has been sitting in tubs of old reef water.  They are not gross though.  Pretty clean.  Lost a lot of Pink that they originally had.  It might come back.

2. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Pm sent on rock.

3. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS!

4. Steph & Nick

Steph & Nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hope you can join us on March 29th, check the CR area forum for more information!

5. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome Josh!!

We are glad you found us!

Dont forget about our live chat room....we always like to talk reefs.

einsteins

6. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Josh, welcome to GIRS! I hope you will find this site useful and fun.

Your question would be answered quicker if you post it in the appropriate forum. From my experience, elevated levels of calcium doesn't have any effects on livestock. Your pumps may need to be cleaned more frequently due to calcium build up but I have not heard anything. My calcium levels are usually around 500 and I have been running this way for quite some time. Which brand of salt are you using?

7. iowareef

iowareef Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By slovan on 03/27/2008 11:18 AM
    Hi Josh, welcome to GIRS! I hope you will find this site useful and fun.
    Your question would be answered quicker if you post it in the appropriate forum. From my experience, elevated levels of calcium doesn't have any effects on livestock. Your pumps may need to be cleaned more frequently due to calcium build up but I have not heard anything. My calcium levels are usually around 500 and I have been running this way for quite some time. Which brand of salt are you using?
    Thanks for the welcome Slovan.
    I use Reef Crystals.

8. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Calcium levels of 500ppm for Reef Crystals seem unusually high. I suppose it depends on what else you are dosing your tank. At any rate, your calcium levels are fine. If you feel the need to drop it, try dropping it to the low 400's.