1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New to the site!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by h2so4hurts, May 28, 2008.

1. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all, I'm new to the site and pretty new to reef keeping.  I just started a 30 gallon mini tank to get some practice before I do a 120 gallon in wall install in my new house.  It's been a lot of fun so far.  I'm going to add some live rock in a few days and then hopefully some fish in a few weeks. 
    A little about me: I'm a graduate student in Molecular Biology at UIowa in the 4th year of my PhD research.  In my free time I run a science news website/social network (www.labspaces.net).  I've been keeping freshwater tanks off and on since I was 10y/o and finally got enough money saved up to look into doing a marine tank. 
    I look forward to annoying all of you with lots of questions as I begin this journey /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

2. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome!! Things are a little slow on here right now with the weather warming up, but we have a great club and do a lot of fun stuff together. How about posting some pics of your setup?

3. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sure, I'll post some up tonight when I get home. It seems like you have a pretty active community around here. I wasn't expecting that in Iowa. Does anyone know of a cheap place for Live rock? The places in IC average $8/lb. If that's the case it looks like I'll be going with eBay and curing the rock a bit longer.

4. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS and as Lee said, don't be discouraged by the current lack of activity on our website. The club is usually very active but the semi-nice weather has got everyone busy with other stuff.

-JB

5. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS!!

6. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

[​IMG]
    Tank with Light on (Coral Sun Reef T8)