1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

new to the game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Supamanz23, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Supamanz23

Supamanz23 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi..my name is Leng and im new to the salt water world... i have an empty 50acrylic that i wish to turn into a reef tank.. i have no idea what to do..lol... i heard that i would need to put saltwater..so anyone here have saltwater to sell? live rock? coral? please help :)

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    First off, welcome to GIRS.  If you need help getting started, this is a great place to get it.
    Before you do anything with your tank, you should do a lot of reading/research to get a good understanding of how thing work in a saltwater reef tank.   It's always easier to do things right (or at least "more right") the first time.   Be sure to ask a lot of questions.   The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask.   We were all new once, so we all understand it's all confusing at first.
    Once you're ready to move forward, you should be able to find many of the things you need for sale on this site.    If you can't find something here, someone will probably be able to suggest a great place to get something locally or on the internet.
    As for buying saltwater, some pet stored do sell saltwater, but the more economical thing to do is mix it yourself.   You buy salt in a large bucket and mix it with RO/DI (Reverse Osmosis / De-Ionized) water that you buy or make yourself.
    -JB

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    GAME?! GAME!!!? You think this is a game?!

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Welcome to the hobby (or lifestyle as I like to call it) and to GIRS. I too would also stress the importance of taking the time to get all your ducks in a row before proceeding fully. Just saves soo soo much in time, cost, heartache, frustration, etc... Doing something right the first time could not be more imperative in this "lifestyle". Feel free to ask any and ALL questions here, there are countless number of various gurus on this site. If they can't help you they will help you to find someone that can.

Happy Reefing!