1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New to the area, New to SW, New to GIRS

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by tlr, Mar 25, 2008.

1. tlr

tlr Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself. My name is Travis and I just moved to davenport about a year ago.
    Having owned a 96 watt pc fixture for almost three years I am finally able to get my nano going. I have several years experience in moderately planted FW tanks but this s my first foray into SW.
    My 10 gal nano is now almost 2 weeks old and going well.
    My tank setup is as follows
    10 gal AGA
    96w coralife pc fixture
    1- leftover tetra 30 HOB
    2- maxijet 400
    1" - 1.5" of seachem greycoast substrate
    12 lbs live rock from aquatic environments
    CUC- 4 nassarius snails & 2 black mexican? snails
    I am working on an overflow/closed loop system that will house my heater, one powerhead and hopefully a gallon or so of water.
    ph- 8.1
    temp- 78.5-79.5
    nh3/nh4- 0 (after a several day battle with a HEAVILY ingrown sponge/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
    no2-0
    no3- 50
    I have begun a heavy growth pf brown algae that my CUC is starting to work on.
    I also have had over the last two days a huge influx (thousands- they are literally effecting water clarity) of what I believe to be copepods. Is this from my high nitrates and algae bloom??? Just curious.
    Plans for the tank are
    mushrooms, polyps, zoas, and some other soft corals.
    1 clown goby
    1 bangaii cardinalfish??
    1 peppermint, scarlet or banded shrimp
    I'm looking forward to continuing on in my SW journey and look forward to getting to know my way around here!

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS!

3. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    welcome to girs hopefully you will find this sight as helpful and fun as i have

4. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Travis, welcome to saltwater and to GIRS! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif Hopefully you will find this site to be resourceful and fun. Please check your local forum for monthly activities and keep your eye out on the big ones. There's a frag swap in Des Moines coming up next weekend. Hopefully you will be able to join us!