1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New to Saltwater

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by bobsfish, Apr 13, 2009.

1. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hello GIRS !! I'm new to the world of saltwater fishkeeping. I've been keeping an assortment of African and New World cichlids for several years and have always wanted a saltwater tank. So...I recently took the plunge...I've been gathering equipment for the past year (literally!)...read the newbie book by Mike Paletta and the book by Bob Fenner. Last week, I finally put water in a tank - 60 gallon...put in some starter live sand and I'm off and running. I'm looking forward to the GIRS club....I have a lot to learn yet - I have many questions after just running for a few days, so I'm hoping to find some good feedback on this site....I'm afraid I don't have a lot to "share" yet, so I'll be in "leech-mode" for a period of time.

2. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Leech-mode is fine. We have all been there. The Conscientious Marine Aquarist is that the book you are talking about.

Any questions feel free to ask
    I am still learning but I have learned alot since I have started my tank
    Good Luck
    SHAUN

3. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh yeah when you are ready for corals we will set you up with some to get you started
    Where are you located

4. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    You did mix salt in the water before you put it in right? :)

Also, you should get familiar with how the site works and the different categories to look through. I know there was a couple people selling live rock not too long ago, they should still be in the buy/sell/trade forum and you could send them a P/M(Private Message) and ask them if they still have stuff to sell.

Where are you located? You could ask people in your area for tips or equipment to buy, as everyone here has tons of extra parts laying around. You could also check out the regional category in the forums and find the forum located closest to you. There are a couple tank tours coming up here, one in Cedar Falls/Waterloo this weekend and I think Iowa City is having one soon too, mabye another in the Des Moines area soon also. For non-paid members you can join along in one tank tour, but if you pay the membership fee you can go on as many as you would like! They are a great experience, especially for just setting up a tank.

Adam Pottebaum (Cedar Falls)

5. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Welcome aboard!!

This is a great club, filled with allot of knowledgeable people, so please ask as many questions as you can and take your time.
    Were are you located?

6. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Welcome,

We are always happy to see someone come to the salt side of things

7. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the site. Good luck with your new tank. Sounds like a nice size to start out with.

--AJ

8. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Welcome to the site you will find some good deals here. When your tank is ready for coral let me know and you can stop my and get a couple good starter corals for free.

9. bobsfish

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the welcome. I'm from Marion, so I'm hoping there are a few of you from the Marion / Cedar Rapids area. Yes, I mixed my salt before it went in the tank !! And, yes, the Conscientious Marine Aquarist was the Fenner book ... great resources. I'll post a description of my setup in the appropriate discussion forum with some questions. I'm totally stoked !!! Thanks again.

10. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome! Always glad to see a new face. And don;t feel like a leech. There are tons of newbies here, I consider myself one of them!

11. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS! I'm located in Marion as well...

-JB

12. bobsfish

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks again for the welcome - I hope to meet you all