1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tank Build! New to saltwater, 28 gallon tank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 28gallonReef, Aug 30, 2016.

1. 28gallonReef

des moines
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I am new to the hobby, and I have started building my first reef tank. I think I have all the corals and fish I plan to add, please let me know if you have any tips or suggestions. Thanks

Fish: 2 oscelllarious clown fish, 1 firefish goby, 1 skunkback basslett

Inverts: RBTA, various snails, 3 long spikes sea urchins

Corals: Frogspawn, armeggeddon coral, green mushroom, hammer coral, not sure on a few of them

Filter: jbj protein skimmer, 25 lbs live rock

Flow: MJ 1200, jabao power head

Attached Files:

2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Tank looks really good. How long has it been running?

3. 28gallonReef

des moines
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My tank has been running since the beginning of June, I will post better pictures some time later this week still trying to figure out the right lighting.

4. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    What lighting are you running?

5. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    You're off to a very good start!

6. 28gallonReef

des moines
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I am using MARS ebay lights

7. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Cool. I heard those lights work well.

8. 28gallonReef

des moines
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Here is a full photo of the tank, a few questions I have is how long until the clowns host the anemone and how long until my base rock will start to turn purple?

9. 28gallonReef

des moines
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

10. Fishunt Nano Nano

Norwalk
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    From what i have seen of clowns, there is no guarantee that they will host. Mine hosts the Y in my return line ;)

I started up my current biocube in Late April (seeded with older live rock) and noticed that some of the newer rock started to purple up quite rapidly but some has taken until now to crust. I've just had my first colonies of coraline start crusting on the back wall and return lines within the past couple weeks, too. I did switch from Instant Ocean purple to Red Sea Coral Pro over the last 6 weeks (20% weekly water change).

11. I have the same tank, been going for about 2 years now.

I just had the stock returns crap out on me last month and I put maxijet 1200s in it and man is there a difference.

I suggest upgrading those of you have a spare $40
    They are only $20 a piece on Amazon. Only bad thing is they drain the refug quicker so you have to keep up with your water top offs or you will get bubbles.

As far as the coralline I think mine started about a year into it and really took off this second year, I've been scraping it from my front and side glass now. The back is covered along with my powerheads.

As far as flow I like my jaebo RW4 powerhead. I had 2 korilia nanos on a wave maker but they just didn't get the job done as well as the jaebo on half power.

The clowns alls I have to say is good luck! I wasn't able to get ocelarius to host my 2 anems, even after putting pictures of clowns hosting anems up to the glass for hours, even set up the computer monitor with a video of clowns hosting anems. I ended up swapping with em out for gold stripe maroons, they didn't host right away either though it took a couple months.
    My dad on the other hand purchased 2 baby ocelarius at a frag show a year ago and they hosted right away.