1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New to salt

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by RAINMAN, Sep 1, 2009.

1. RAINMAN

RAINMAN Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've had freshwater tanks many years, I breed african and south american cichlids and some livebearers.  Iwill be starting my first salt tank soon. It will be a Aqua Pod 24gal w/ dual pc lights. I met JB and Troy @ the corralville swap Iwould like to thank them for taking the time to answer all of my newbie questions. I would also like to thank GIRS for taking the time to attend the IAA swap.

2. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS
    I am glad that we were able to help answer some of the questions you had at the IAA swap.
    I sure you will have more questions with your new project, so don't be afraid to post anything questions you might have. Remember we were all new to this at one time or another, and had the same questions too.

Troy

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the addiction! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif

I hope you feel free to ask any and all the questions and use the resources here to the fullest!

4. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS!

We're glad we could make it to the IAA event, we had a good time talking to everyone.

-JB

5. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the club.

I was in the same boat as you just a year ago. Having some freshwater under your belt, salt won't seem nearly as scary.

6. RAINMAN

RAINMAN Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I going to pace myself and do this right.

7. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the club! I know that many of us in the club have gone from cichlids to saltwater. In a sense, it seems like kind of a natural progression. The AquaPod will be a great starter tank for you. Two pieces of advice that I will give you on setting up a smaller tank.

1) Get an Auto top-off. This will help regulate your salinity so that you don't have to keep adding water all the time.
    2) Keep up with the water changes. With the smaller tank, it's easy to overfeed or do something else to cause your parameters to spike. Your regular water changes will help keep the water chemistry in check. 2 gallons a week should be sufficient.

I'm sure you're going to love your saltwater tank. Be sure to ask any questions that you have along the way. Again, welcome!

--AJ

8. RAINMAN

RAINMAN Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    2) Keep up with the water changes. With the smaller tank, it's easy to overfeed or do something else to cause your parameters to spike. Your regular water changes will help keep the water chemistry in check. 2 gallons a week should be sufficient.
    With my freshwater tanks I do 40%-50% water changes every week.  Is it better for salt to have smaller changes or do smaller changes just save money?

9. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    IMO that is too much for salt. I'd to 10% a week or 20% every two weeks. If you don't have a refugium setup for nutrient export, 20% per week would probably be ok.

-JB

10. RAINMAN

RAINMAN Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks