1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New to hobby just got my first tank

Discussion in 'Quad Cities Area' started by I Found Nemo, Apr 26, 2011.

1. I Found Nemo

I Found Nemo Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello my name is Mark and I am from the Davenport area I have wanted a SW fish tank for a few years now but never had the time or money mainly money well now I have the money and just got a 75g tank last night and plan on starting a coral and fish tank but like I said I am pretty new to all of this so I may have a lot of things to ask you guys lol I plan on getting a sump next and I was not sure if I should just buy one or try to make my own and the tank I got is 48" and I am not sure on what lights to get either any help with that would be great as those are the things I plan on buying next I have beening reading a alot on keeping SW fish the past few months so I have good plan on how I am gonna set this tank up. Well sorry for the long first post just thought I'd get it all out there lol

2. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey mark welcome to the addiction, I would deff make your own sump. a 20 long would be the way to go. first thing I would do is get a skimmer so you can build your sump according to the size of skimmer you get. Lights will really depend on what type of coral your looking at. or if you plan on coral at all. if it is a fish only tank you can get by with any light.

if you have any questions feel free to ask or pm me. but the bulk of the general population are always here to help.

One thing I wold definitely suggest is to buy things with the future in mind, you dont want to have to buy things twice.

3. moneypit

moneypit Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I second welcoming you to this addiction. Definitely plan for the future mind, no sooner than you think you have it right the bug will bite and it'll be time to upsize or upgrade. Lighting does depend alot on what your choices for the tank will be. Definitely the one thing to do is ask ALOT of questions no matter how stupid you may think it is, it's not. Also patience, patience, patience nothing in the hobby happens in the short term, except disasters.

4. Bryan-1

Bryan-1 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the site Mark.
    hope to see you at some local meeting in the future.

5. Killernights

Killernights Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    welcome, im also currently in the process of building my first SW tank right now. the people on this site are a great help and the local meetings are very educational

6. FindnNemo

FindnNemo Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You have come to the right place! I am also new to SW and the people here have been great teachers! Welcome aboard.

7. pondman

Davenport
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    welcome to the site and your legal addiction lol best advise is to go slow and read and ask questions remember there is no such thing as a dumb question. i am from davenport as well and have been reefkeeping for about eight or nine years and I have kept freshwater for 35 years If ii can help you in any way feel free to ask.  kevin aka (pondman)

8. FindnNemo

FindnNemo Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Im gonna have to use that LEGAL ADDICTION next time on the wife is she says anything!!!! lol

9. I Found Nemo

I Found Nemo Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the warm welcome everybody! I look forward to this hobby I lived in florida for 20 years and have always wanted a SW tank go figure I live in Iowa when I do set one up lol