1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New tank!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mike, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Mike

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Hey everybody! I am new the reef keeping, and thought I would share a couple of pictures from my new hobby.

My wife and I used to keep fresh water tanks, but sold them years ago when we started having kids. Well, thanks to a neighbor that offered us a tank, we have been slowly getting back into it. We are learning as we go - that is for sure! :)

The display tank is a tall 65 gallon tank that sits in my home office. All the initial filtration we got was HOB, but we quickly upgraded everything. I now have a 30 gallon sump/refugium in my basement that we plumbed for it.

And being the tinkerer that I am, I have built my own controller for it. So far, the controller monitors and tracks (over time for trending) my pH, salinity, temperature and dissolved oxygen, as well as controlling my ATO, protein skimmer overflow, heater, etc. And it sends me emails if the levels exceed a certain threshold (pH too low, protein skimmer bucket full, ATO empty, etc)... It will even cut the power to my system if it detects water outside the tank... My next goal with it will be to automate some of the chemical reaction tests (calcium, alk, nitrates, etc) - all in due time. :)

Anyway I will have tons of questions as we keep going here, but thought I would share a few pictures....

Here is the main tank:

VZM.IMG_20160727_124556.jpg

And again:

20160727_230641.jpg

Trigger sump w/ refugium in basement right under the main tank:

20160727_230825.jpg

And a couple of shots of my home made controller:

20160727_230832.jpg

20160727_230839.jpg

I call it Aquaduino:

Screenshot_20160724-004716.png

As you can see, I am having problems keeping my pH up!

Screenshot_20160727-233650.png

I am always up for suggestions / tips - so comment away if anybody has any suggestions or tips!

2. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Looks real good. Thanks for sharing

3. F.D. Reefer Well-Known ReefKeeper

Fort dodge
    Ratings:
    +98 / 1 / -0
    Looks great!
    Some of the best advice iv ever gotten is "don't chase #s.
    And if tank inhabitance "coral/fish" look healthy than leave it alone

Sent from my iPhone via App

4. Deleted member 1172

Deleted member 1172 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    F.D. Reefer is the perfect example of not chasing numbers... Chad, when was the last time you tested anything in your tank? I can attest, his tank is seriously legit. Best advice I've gotten is don't stress, enjoy the tank!

5. Ryan Arment

Marshalltown
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Looking good, how are you liking the lights?

6. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    You have an impressive level of ingenuity to design your own controller, well done!

7. F.D. Reefer Well-Known ReefKeeper

Fort dodge
    Ratings:
    +98 / 1 / -0
    3-4 yrs
    But I suffer from "LRS"
    "Lazy Reefer Syndrome"
    Mature tanks are much easier than new
    Patience is the key
    Good luck on tank !

Sent from my iPhone via App

8. AdamLawrence Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    Very nice

Sent from my SM-N920V via App

9. 28gallonReef

des moines
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Great setup, the controller you made looks better then a lot I've seen

10. 28gallonReef

des moines
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Great setup, the controller you made looks better then a lot I've seen

11. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Very nice setup.
    I agree with the "don't chase numbers" comment. If everything looks happy and healthy just let it be. Stability is far more important than some optimum number that no one really agrees on anyway. Sometimes the swings from dosing to hit that optimal numbers make things worse than leaving it be.

If you do start dosing I would suggest low volume dosing pumps and stretch the dose out over 24 hours, or overnight depending on what you are adding. This will really help with the stability side of things and you can work out those sudden swings you are getting now from what I assume would be some additive you are putting in to raise the pH.

12. Mike

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the input guys!

Ryan - yes I really like the lights. So for anybody interested - I purchased the AI Hydra 26 lights. They really are pretty cool, but they have a substantial hardware flaw. The wireless connectivity in them is terrible. They were not able to even see my ASUS AC rated router (in the next room over) despite the fact that there was nothing interfering on that channel and a quick wifi analysis standing right next to the lights saw that the wifi signal right there was -30dBm (which is really good). I had to go out and buy a separate N-rated router to set as a wireless access point and attach it to my wall less than 3 feet away from the lights in order for them to pull a strong enough signal to do anything with. I worked directly with their developer and he couldn't figure it out, only saying that the wifi module in the lights wasn't that powerful and they wouldn't be able to pull a signal nearly as well as a cell phone would. So unless you have a router/wireless access point or wifi extender a few feet from the lights, I don't think I could recommend them to anybody.

13. EPH

EPH

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey Mike,
    Looks like I missed half the tour. :) The controller set up is impressive as others have mentioned.

14. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    You got my attention when I saw this!!
    You're missing the "A"...LARS (Lazy *** Reefer Syndrome) :hilarious:

15. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    Which Arduino did you use? 2560? Can you send me a parts list for the hardware? I've wanted to build one of these for a while.

16. Mike

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I used a Mega 2560. I could have used an Ethernet Shield to connect it, but I didn't have an easy way to run a CAT-5 line to the system, so I instead used an ESP8266 (specifically the NodeMCU v1.0) and connected it to the Mega via Serial2. Since the ESP8266 is a 3.3V board, I am using a level shifter (small red board between the Mega and the ESP8266).

Untitled-3.jpg

All of the probes I am using are from Atlas Scientific. And I am using their circuits and power isolators. They all connect to the I2C bus.

I am also have a 20x4 I2C LCD display that connects to the bus (the 4 pin screw terminals towards the middle).

I am using an I2C RTC for scheduled tasks (including triggering the fuge light at a specific time).

The keypad is used for calibration.

There are two tactile push buttons - they are just used for scrolling through the LCD display to various pages.

There are 6 screw terminals towards the bottom that connect to a 5V 6 channel relay board.

Anyway that is the basic circuit... Hope this at least gets you started. :)

17. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    Great! Do you happen to have a higher resolution picture of that you can send me? I think some compression makes the smaller lettering unreadable if I zoom. If you can message it to me somehow or upload it to an external image site and give a link. Thanks.

18. Mike

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I sent you a PM with a link to the hi-res picture...

19. StoneFunk

Polk City, IA
    Ratings:
    +20 / 2 / -0
    I would second this. I love the lights, but anytime I want to adjust them, I have to power them down and fiddle with them for awhile until they finally pickup a signal. Once seems to have an easier time than the other, but since my AP is less than 20 feet away, there shouldn't be a problem to begin with.

20. Mike

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I had them send me a replacement of both my lights and they seem decent now. With an N-rated router right next to them they seem to hold the connection now. But for $300+ per light one would expect this to not be an issue.