1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New Tank Setup question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DavidM199, Jun 24, 2008.

1. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

so i am moving to my new house on the 18 off july. I am going to finish out the basement some time this winter with a gameroom and put my a tank down there but until then I am going to put the tank in my famiy room or in the dining room.
    The main question is I am not going to have my ro tanks setup up upstairs, and I dont want to haul buckets up  from the basement. so is there any easy way pump the water up there with just a small pump and small tubing like a ice marker tube. Because I dont want to drill too big of hole in the dining room wall. 

2. nielsen2773

nielsen2773 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are you talking top off or water changes?I have a mag9 with 1/2 tubing for my top off it is about 40 feet from sump to ro container and goes up about 10 feet high.

3. DavidM199

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Both, right now I use the same trash can, when I am going to do a water change I will just mix the salt in

4. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i run that 1/4" poly from my ro/di upstairs to my tanks and top off that way. you may be able to adapt a small pump down to 1/4 quick connect and then into the poly tubing. since the diameter would be so much smaller, head pressure would be less, and psi would probably go up.
    if possible, you may want to run an extension cord with the plumbing, that way you could watch the thank fill and shut it off without having to run back down to the basement.
    One advantage to using 1/4" is it's low throughput, so it fills the tank slower and it's easier on all the stuff living in your tank.
    if you have an aqua lifter pump, you may try using that with some air line tubing. i'm not sure if it would pump the water up the stairs for you but they essentially do the same thing on overflows.

5. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Aqualifters are lucky to get four or five feet. Terribly slow though.

6. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By BGreenlee on 06/26/2008 12:02 AM
    Aqualifters are lucky to get four or five feet. Terribly slow though.

thought it might be a long shot. looks like somebody tried though.

7. DavidM199

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I didn't know that Ro/di system has enough preesure to push water up to a secound floor. If it does I guess I can just T it off and have my main water change water down in the basement and then have a top off go upstairs.

If I can get to doing about 7 gallon water changes every week or so it would be that bad to carry just that amount up the stairs.

Or I could putt in an elevator to lug my water up from the basement/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif