1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New tank discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jtesdall, Aug 30, 2008.

1. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I am finally getting very close to putting water in my new (to me) 240 gallon glass tank. The stand should be finished today and then tomorrow I will test it with tap water for leaks. Hopefully by Sunday night or Monday I can start filling with Salt Water.
    Here are my thoughts on adding this aquarium to my existing 200 gallon reef system. I would like opinions on whether I am off base or not.
    When I fill the 240 with water it will be bare bottom and will only have dry rock in it. I plan on bring all controllable parameters in line with my reef system over a period of a few days. pH, Temp and salinity are what I will concentrate on. When these are in line with my system I want to hook the systems together and start mixing the water very slowly so it will turn over the 240 gallons in say a day or two. Since I will not have any life in the 240 I do not see a reason to cycle the tank since my current biological filter can handle my bioload. It should be like doing a very slow 60-70% water change.
    Then I will start moving fish and live rock from an existing 55 gallon tank in my system (aggressive tank) to slowly convert this tank to the 240 and tear down the 55. The 240 will be the new home for my Puffer and Lion fish since the lion fish is starting to wear the 55 as a hat. They are both growing fast.
    So please punch holes in my theory if I am wrong.

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    It sounds good to me. The only thing to worry about sharing systems is that if you have a disaster in 1 tank, it will destroy both.

3. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How do you know the dry rock does not have anything in it? ie nitrates, phosphates,dead plant life? Also one thing I read recently was after doing a water test with tap you should dry the inside and wipe it out. Other than that it sounds good. 240 wow I bet it will be nice.

4. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would keep the 240 seperate so the fish can be fed heavy and if needed you can medicate the tank. Obviously the best way to treat a sick fish is QT, but if the tan gets ick it is always nice to be able to treat the whole tank.

5. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the replies guys. I completely understand about the dangers of all tanks being on the same system, that is how I have them now. I do worry about it. I figure it is the same as someone having an outrageously beautiful 400 gallon tank that if something goes wrong you will lose it, JJ comes to mind. I have enough trouble getting the time to appropriately care for one system, I wouldn't do this if I had to setup another system. It just wouldn't get taken care of. So far I haven't had a major problem having three tanks (display, aggressive and frag) on one system.
    Travis, hopefully with proper QT and good husbandry I will never have ICK again. Knock on wood.
    What I was most concerned with was not cycling the tank and just mixing the waters. It sounds like a great plan to me and biologically feasable. I talked to Allen Mabee and he thinks this is a good plan as it was what he did on his last tank. He didn't have any problems.
    If anyone else has any reasons I shouldn'ty go this route chime in. Thanks again for the replies.

6. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How is it going?

7. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Going well. I have had the tank filling with RO/DI since Monday night. As we know that takes awhile and is only 2/3 full. Hopefully it will be full tomorrow night and I can work on the params. Temp is maintaining currently.
    Thanks for asking.