1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New one from Muscatine

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Guest, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I can't believe I found this site. It seemed to me that there wasn't anyone around me that had salt water tanks.

I've had freshwater tanks for about 5 years and it wasn't until a little over a year ago I wanted to get into saltwater. It's been a slow transition, I upgraded all my equipment from basic Wal-Mart stuff to having almost everything I need for a reef set up. I sold all my fresh water fish about three months ago and right now I'm in the second week of curing live rock.

I have a 30 gallon tank with two firefish gobies in there to give me confidence that if they don't die by the time I get my 72 gallon set up. I'm still reading on a daily basis magazines and the many books I've bought because I keep finding new information all the time and trying to get it all organized.

I am a member of EIAA for over a year, but I haven't been able to go to a meeting because of my work schedule. I have been to some of the bowl shows though.

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS!

EIAA is a nice club. I was a member there last year, but I too was always too busy to make it to the meetings and I was never that motivated because they don't do much saltwater stuff. GIRS is a different kind of club. Our official meeting schedule is not as structured as the EIAA's. Our "official" meetings only happen 3 or 4 times a year, but each region has "social" gatherings (pizza parties, tank tours, etc) more frequently.

Anyway, glad you found the club and welcome aboard!

-JB

3. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS.

4. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    welcome, I was jus in muscatine for the fair.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the welcome guys.  Even though this is only my second post and I've only been on this forum a few days I already have a story.
    I got an email from ToTaLCHaoS13, aka Dustin,  that he lives in Muscatine also and wanted to see if I wanted any of his pieces because he is getting ready to take down size from his 90.  Today I met up with him and recieved the chance to check out his tank.  I was very impressed with his set up, it was as if I was seeing what I've only seen in books before.  Now I know a whopping 2 people in Muscatine who have salt water set up.  I would publically like to thank him for his time and conversation.  I had a great time.

6. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Hey man welcome, I am origionally from Wapello so have spent alot of time in Muscatine. I bet there are more there then you know. Is there any stores down there that sell saltwater? I have heard there is one in Burlington that is decent but havent been there yet.

There are tons of people in the QC & in Iowa City.

Hope to see you soon at an event, this is definitely the best place to get any questions you have answered.

Craig

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There only petstore in town here is Tony's.  He's mainly other pets with same bread and butter freshwater fish.  I go to A.E. in QC and Sea of Marvels in North Liberty when I get the chance.  But that's far and few between.  Burlington may have one, but I never have reason to head down there.
    I'm already planning to go to that Frag meet in November for sure.

8. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS...

I am in the QC's maybe you can come by sometime when up this way...I have a 120 with a few coral frags in it.

I am the regional rep to the BOD for the QC area so feel free to contact me if you need anything...

einsteins
    aka Bill Kennedy

9. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Andrew what light fixture do you have?

I'm thin I'm going to sell my 48" M/H canopy, if you're interested. (2 150w m/h, 2 96w power Compaq, 2 blue LEDs)

The bulbs are 6 months old so they should be good for awhile.

Let me know.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Right now I don't have crap for lighting.  Just the 260 watt PC.  So I know I'm pretty limited until I get MH, I'll talk to you later about.