1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New members in the Quad Cities

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by David, May 6, 2008.

1. David

David Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm cross posting this from the Reef Central Post:
    Hello everyone, I'm David, and my girlfriend Becky joined GIRS last night. 
    When I was a boy and in high school, my dad used to import saltwater fish and rock from the gulf.   We had over a thousand gallons of saltwater in the basement, along with my bedroom.  My dad also worked a seasonal job that took him out of town, so as you can imagine, I ended up caring for a very great variety of these creatures when I was young.
    When I moved out, I left all that behind me, and my love for it forgotten for almost 10 years until I met my girl Becky, who loves saltwater stuff as well.   We set up a few tanks together, and I remembered how much it meant to me, so now we're back in it together, for good.
    That was about 6 months ago.   The science sure has evolved a lot since I was a boy!  I've enjoyed reading about it a great deal, and I've been collecting the things I've learned and writing about them on a new saltwater website that I've called Frugal Reef.  I'm an embeded product designer, and I do a lot of web development in my line of work, so putting together a website about my hobbies is a natural progression for me.   Working on the website has also given rise to an interest in aquarium photography, and I've been getting better at it every day.
    Just recently Becky and I put together a new tank that we plan on getting serious with, a 150 tall.  You can look it over on my saltwater blog at hinkle.blogs.frugalreef.com.
    We also wanted to become involved in the local saltwater community, so I asked Adam up at aquatic environments what was around and he said I should look into GIRS.  
    We look forward to attending our first event!
    David & Becky

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    welcome to girs

3. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Glad to see you found the boards and WELCOME!!!

4. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi David and Becky

Welcome to GIRs We are happy to have you with us...

My Name is Bill Kennedy aka einsteins

I am the QC representative for the GIRS Board of Directors.
    I live in NW davenport, we will have to get together and talk tanks some time. I am also into photographing my reef and have had some luck in getting some good shots now and then.

Looking forward to meeting you, and please feel free to contact me anytime.

einsteins

5. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    welcome to girs

so what city did you grow up in?

6. David

David Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey everybody. Thanks for the welcome. Becky and I are looking forward to attending some GIRS activities, and the GIRS newsletter, I'm sure we'll see you guys around /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

I've lived in the quad city area since highschool, and Becky grew up in Muskatine.

I'm into clams and becky enjoys fish with personality, we both love soft corals and plan on our new tank being clams, fish and softies including ricordia, xenia, and zoos.

7. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GiRS. Look forward to seeing you around.

8. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the club. I am looking forward to meeting you guys. I live out in Cambridge IL, but work in the Quad Cities. Let me know if you ever need anything or have questions about the club.

Billy