1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Iamaxxer, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Iamaxxer

Iamaxxer Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi, Just found the site,surfing the net trying to read everything I can about reef keeping.
    My kids gave ame a 90 gal reef tank for Christmas, and I have purchased a 30 gal tank with the plans to build my sump. Still in the stage of planning and purchasing my equipment. I have a friend building my stand ,hoping it is done soon.
    I have a small window of time in wich I will be able to get the heavy work done. I'm scheduled for my 2nd rotator surgery in 8 months on the 3rd.... Oh well...

2. Steph & Nick

Steph & Nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    welcome, you are in the right place for asking questions. lots of knowledgeable people in here willing to help. sorry to hear about the upcoming surgery. no fun!

3. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS. Ask all the questions you need, there's tons of members that can answer anything you'll throw at them.

I actually made my sump out of a 30 gallon. It's a lot better to make you're own than buying one for price and your particular needs.

4. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the place for Iowa Reefers! There are many members in your area, so please lean on us. We are here to help you be as successful with that new tank as possible.

5. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Welcome.

It sounds like you're off to a good start, just remember to take you're time, patience is you best tool and its free!!!

Please ask all the questions you need, we are here to help!

-Rick-

6. JByrd

JByrd

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If its any help to you here is a picture of my sump (30 gallon) that I just finished acouple of weeks back.  I used polycarbonate for the baffle and siliconed them in.  I used almost a whole tube of silicone.  Never had a problem before siliconing them in.  Just make sure you use plently of silicone on the pressure side of a baffle.
    [​IMG]

7. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, Don't be afraid to ask for help lifting/moving heavy equipment. Most likely someone in the club is nearby and will come help out.

Where at in Iowa are you from?

8. Iamaxxer

Iamaxxer Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the warm welcome.....I live north of Waverly up in the NE corner of the state

9. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS. I am from Clarksville which is NW of Waverly, and used to live just north of Waverly, actually it was where the old waterslide used to be. We are planning on doing a ton of fun stuff this year, be sure to check out the Waterloo Area forums for the schedule of events!

Like others said. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

10. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Hey welcome to the club. There are alot of us in the Wloo area.

11. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS! I would encourage you to create a thread in the forums to document your build process. Not only is it a great place for you to upload current pics of your tank, but then when you have a question, the other people trying to help you can have more info to give you a better answer to your question....and the people in the club really enjoy following build threads...at least I know I do.

--AJ

12. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    welcome to the club,there is a load of info here,and i believe there is a pizza party coming up in feb,a good time to meet other reefers,hope your surgery goes well!

13. Iamaxxer

Iamaxxer Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Once the build starts I will be documenting it with a ton of pictures Thanks