1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New Member - markluvskathy

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by markluvskathy, Aug 31, 2009.

1. markluvskathy

markluvskathy Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi! I want to thank GIRS for coming to the IAA event Sunday! Thank you for the invitation to join here :)
    My name is Kathleen, and my hubby's name is Mark. We have 2 children, 6 birds, 4 dogs, 3 cats, 2 turtles, and a ton of fish!
    Our house is turned upside down right now with remodeling projects. We just finished the living room and will be moving our designated salt water tank in later this week. We estimate this project to take at least 6 months before we start adding any fish.
    We know nothing about salt water. I am in total awe of every salt water tank I see. It is amazing to see the living organisms, let alone the colorful fish!
    I do know that we would like to have several different kinds of fish in our tank. Finding the right combination of fish is going to be difficult for us, not knowing what can cohabitate with each other harmoniously. I will be spending a ton of hours researching here.
    The tank size that we will be working with is a 120T.
    Thanks for having us!
    Kathleen

2. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the club and to saltwater - I made the switch to saltwater about 5 months ago....it's very cool. I still have some cichlid tanks, although it's hard to keep up with both. I think you'll find saltwater to be much more challenging and rewarding than freshwater....but, both have significant merits. I would recommend that you do a lot of reading and research before adding livestock. I think Bob Fenner's book Conscientious Marine Aquarist and Mike Paletta's book The New Marine Aquarium are very good resources. If you're looking for "free" info, wetwebmedia.com and reefcentral are excellent sites. Plus, you'll get good info on this site as well...there are many knowledgeable members. Bob

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Hey welcome,

Once you go salt it will be very hard to go back.

4. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome Kathleen & Mark
    JB and I was at the IAA swap sunday, and glad that our trip down there has starked some interest with the fresh water world.
    Your right, there is much research to be done on salt water tanks. Sometimes you might feel over whelmed with all the new info, but after time it really isn't that bad. So don't hesitate to post any questions that you might have. We are here to help!
    Where are you located?
    And good luck with the new adventure.
    Troy

5. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome! Ask lots of questions. Also, I highly recommend taking part in your local tank tours. Most of the regional areas have one in the fall and one in the spring. You can see what others have in their tanks and make notes for what you want to put into yours. Good luck!

--AJ

6. markluvskathy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the welcome everyone!
    Mark and I live in Tama.
    After looking at several georgous pictures, we are DEFINATELY going to have corals be the main attraction of the tank instead of fish! I didn't know there were so many! Is there a thread here of different pics of different corals? Maybe I just haven't scanned the site close enough... I definately want lots of color and texture!
    I am praying my dad finishes the double 55 stand BEFORE he starts on the roof! Once we get the 55's back up and running, I can move stuff around again, and than we can move the 120T into its new permanant location and get started. I know to boot, we need a skimmer and a light. I see stuff for sale, but I am not sure if it is what we need or not. We just need a hand to guide us through starting up!
    Kathleen

7. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, first decide what size you want to set up. Then your budget. Those two things will then drive what you can do. What size tank did you have in mind? This will then help you determine what size sump you will want and what your total water volume will be...which will help you determine what size skimmer you will need. Will also help you determine return pump size, heater size, amount of live rock, lights, powerheads, etc.

--AJ

8. markluvskathy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We will be setting up a 120 gallon tank - 4ft blueprint.

9. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Assuming that you have a 20 to 30 gallon sump, your skimmer should probably be rated for something like 150 to 200 gallons. Depending on the kind of overflow you have for your tank, you probably want something around 1200 GPH effective return flow. Most 120s have dual overflows and each overflow is usually rated for 600 GPH. A Mag12 would be a good size. For lighting, you really need to decide what kind of corals you want to put in there. If you want maximum flexibility, go for either Metal Halides or T5's. If you plan on soft corals and some LPS, you can probably get away with using some Power Compact lights. Also, if you use metal halide, heat could be an issue during the hot months of summer.

I hope these tips help. Good luck with your build!

--AJ