1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

new member in Altoona...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by gb387, Mar 27, 2008.

1. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello, just signed up with this forum.  I plan on stopping by the frag swap at the zoo.
    I am fairly new to the saltwater/reef aquarium I have been around them for a few years but never owned one myself.  My g/f is the knowledge be hind our new little hobby since she has had a tank or two in the past. 
    A couple months ago we bought a 90 gallon wave front complete, with fish live rock, an anemone or two and all the stuff to keep it up an running...  Its been up for a couple years and maintained by the previous owner.  We move it to my house and had no trouble all went smoother than I thought it would and all is still going well.  The whole idea is getting a basic reef started (one reason we purchased this particular tank) and move on from there based on how well this works out for us.

2. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Brandon, welcome to GIRS! We have a lot of good members around the state to help you out with any questions you may have. Plus you are close to a lot of members in the Des Moines area. You will find that they are a fun-loving bunch and easy going. Hope you guys stick with it and enjoy this crazy hobby. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

3. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS!

Looking forward to meeting you at the frag swap.

There are plenty of people from the DM area, and we usually try to get together once a month so check out our forum for details.

4. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the welcome!

5. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS. Look forward to meeting you next week.

6. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS.

7. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome aboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome. There are at least 4 of us in the Altoona area...Myself, Matt B., Fay(?), and a gentleman in Bondurant. I am sure there are silent others but those I know for sure.

Ryan #3

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am just on the other side of University in Pleasant Hill as well. Welcome.

10. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS Brandon. I hope the Toadstool does well for you.

11. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank You...  we have done a lot of research since we have purchased the tank and in the future hope to move on to something bigger but its still early. 
    All seems to be working quite well, initially we had a high calcium problem but it seems thats now in checka l took ittle time but all is good now.
    Thanks for everyone's help yesterday...  all is a learning experience right now.

12. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just a little update both frags I purchased are doing very well, they are growing very nicely... Thanks again for the help and I have been very satisfied with my purchases!