1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New member here

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Carpdoctor, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Carpdoctor New User

Cedar Rapids area
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hey,

It has been about 15 years since I had an aquarium. It was just a cheap "going to college" type setup. I was recently on vacation and wandered into a pet store that had a reef tank and it caught my attention.

It was a biocube tank and seemed like a nice little system. Anyway..... that got me looking at things on the web and I ended up here. I live in the Cedar Rapids surrounding area.

Not sure if I want a tank or not, just looking at things right now. I do love the looks of the reef tanks with a few colorful fish.

I am not really sure what the startup cost would be on a basic setup. Being new to this it's hard to know what's nice and what's necessary. What is the preferred place to look at systems in the area? If I jump in I am sure there are some great club mentors on this page. It's always fun to spend other peoples money.

Thanks

2. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    Welcome! Lots of help available. As far as systems go I would suggest buying a used setup to start with. With patience, you can find one on this site or craigslist. Beware: this hobby can be addictive

3. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    You've come to the right place for some info and help.
    You can do a setup on the cheap especially buying used. Look at the B/S/T sections and craigslist and the likes for equipment and even complete setups. There are good deals to be had, but make sure you research the equipment and everything that is included to be sure it's worth your time. Depending on what you want in a tank- reef tank, fish only etc- will determine the level of equipment you will want to look for. Biocubes are a decent option, but they have some drawbacks as well.

As far as first starting out I would get as big of a tank as your space can fit and you can afford. Buy decent equipment and get into an adequate and consistent maintenance routine. Research, research research, don't rush into anything. The hobby can be very rewarding and satisfying, but you see a lot of people jump in very quick and fast, blow a ton of money, and then have nothing but issues with their tanks. Then the for sale thread usually follows shortly after.

As far as seeing tanks there are plenty of members in the area willing to show you their setups. We actually had a tank tour a couple months ago where a small group of us spent the afternoon checking out 5 or so members tanks.

4. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Welcome to the club. You my find something for sale on here that can get you started. Lots of good helpful club members in your area. And plenty of people to ask on here.
    Do lots of research and be patient.

5. Carpdoctor New User

Cedar Rapids area
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the warm welcome. I would enjoy seeing members systems and chatting over a beer sometime. In my travels around the web I have seen a lot of the Innovative marine tanks with the all in one type setup. Some of the small 20g tanks look amazing.

Not sure I want to jump in with a 75g tank , sumps, ect ect. In my mind a nice simple tank seems like a good place to start.

Is there a local shop to look at stuff or is online the way to go?? I like to support local shops if possible. Long as their prices are not too crazy. Truthfully I am still at the tire kicking stage right now.

6. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Hello and welcome!
    Personally, I think it all comes down to what YOU like. This is a hobby so you need to be comfortable and happy with everything you're doing. That being said, all-in-one tanks are great setups and a good place to start and prosper. I'm just getting done setting up about a 38 gallon AIO (similar to the biocube you saw) that will replace my 12 gallon system. To make the process more interactive, I ordered glass from the local professional shop and assembled everything myself to exactly the dimensions I prefer, effectively tripling my water volume. My advice is to go as big as you can the first time, it saves time, headache, and money down the road. For example: look for the 29 gallon biocube instead of the 14 gallon. Of course do a lot of research like others are recommending as well and be happy!

Attached Files:

7. Borky00 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Lisbon
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    I drink beer! :)

Another suggestion is look for the next local GIRS meeting and come out and chat with the members.

8. Carpdoctor New User

Cedar Rapids area
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I notice you are from the Lisbon area. I have a few friends in Sutliff. I spend some time there fishing and visiting during the summer.

I think attending a meeting would be very informative and a good idea.

9. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    Welcome!

I believe there are some all in ones for sale from members right now... if you're really interested in a self contained system that would be a good route. However, having owned a 28g JBJ cube previously I can say that I wasn't a huge fan. In order to actually get adequate filtration I ended up adding on a HOB skimmer to replace the airstone skimmer meant to fit in the back compartment. I then also added on hang on reactors for carbon and GFO. Additionally I replaced the hood so I could use more intense LEDs for coral growth. I also added powerheads to increase the flow above the stock return pumps. So in the end nothing was self contained and there was no real benefit for having the back compartment closed off.

I currently have a 29g running which was a basic tank from PetCo's $1/gallon sale. I painted the back pane black and have a HOB skimmer along with one powerhead. The painted back really does a good job of hiding equipment and powerheads. If you really wanted to go this route instead I'd highly recommend finding a used HOB AquaC Remora skimmer (should be able to find for around $50). It can be argued that you don't need a skimmer at all since water changes are so easy on a smaller system, however I like to make my life as easy as possible. All of my equipment on this system is:
    Tank - 29g from PetCo: $29
    Skimmer - Reef Octopus 100 HOB from BRS: $150
    Heater - 50w from PetCo: $30
    Powerhead - Jebao PP-4 from Amazon: $60
    Substrate (2 inch) - 30 lbs of Caribsea Special Grade from PetCo: $17
    Live Rock - I just used 30 lbs of dry rock I had laying around
    Lighting - 2x 12w Par38 LED bulbs from Amazon: $40
    Total cost: $326

Some of that could be found more cheaply if you could find it used (especially a skimmer). And some of that is optional (substrate and skimmer).

If you really don't like the idea of having visible equipment it isn't too crazy to drill one of the PetCo $1/gallon tanks to integrate a sump where your equipment is housed. You could use something like another 10g for a sump from the $1/g sale which would have the added benefit of increasing your water volume. There really is a lot of additional flexibility afforded with a sump that you would likely appreciate down the road.

There are a ton of ways to skin a cat in this hobby and people have found ways to make just about anything work (that's why you see so much crazy equipment available - but don't think you need to have all of it).

10. Carpdoctor New User

Cedar Rapids area
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the reply. Your setup is a very affordable option. I see what you mean about upgrading the AIO type setups. I have zero experience with drilling tanks and using sumps but I am not afraid of tackling projects.

Since i am new to this it's hard knowing what direction to go. The AIO inovative marine tanks seem nice, but maybe a sump setup is the way to go. My lack of knowledge makes for a tuff decision. I want a nice system that will work well and isn't a pain to maintain and hopefully provide successful results. I mean does a person need $300 lights and a $500 apex to be successful?

11. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    Definitely not... especially on a smaller system. Things like water changes and top offs all much more manageable on moderately sized systems. I have an Apex on my system and love it... but I have a 400g display and it is able to automate a lot of stuff that would eat too much of my time. But I got by for years on my 125g mixed reef without a fancy controller before I upgraded to a larger SPS dominated tank and decided to jump into the world of automation.

On a side note, I don't think anyone has mentioned RO/DI systems... and I admittedly forgot since it wasn't an incremental cost for my build. If you're planning on doing a reef then RO water is a must. You can either try to get water from fellow reefers, an LFS, or get your own RO unit. To avoid the hassle I'd recommend getting your own; however they can be fairly pricey if you buy a new one. This is another item you may want to see if you can find used (although you'll likely need to replace the RO membrane and prefilters).

12. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Great advice from @Actuary@Actuary

Drilling tanks and adding sumps really isn't a difficult project. Just takes patience during the drilling process. Plenty of members around that will help you out if you decide to go that route.
    I think a 40 breeder makes a nice size for a starter tank and I like the dimensions. Plus they can be picked up cheap during the $1/gallon sale. 60 cube is another tank that I really like the size. Pick up a 20 gallon for a sump and you'll have plenty of room for the needed equipment and a decent water volume for stability. Find quality equipment the first time around, buy used if you can. No reason to break the bank or spend money on the latest and greatest technology. Plenty of successful reefs are kept with nothing special besides a decent skimmer, lighting, quality water and good maintenance routine.

13. AdamLawrence Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    I would help if you need help with drilling a couple holes i have a couple of bits if you decide to go that route.

Sent from my SM-N920V via App

14. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    Welcome! The CR area has some great resources for new guys - I swear all the greatest tank deals come from that region of the state. Check here and CraigsList for some used equipment to get a tank up and running on a budget.

15. CMC319

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Sutliff you say.... I fish that area of river quite a bit, some decent walleye in there! I have a very close friend that lives there. I may be new to this site, but the one piece of advice I would like to echo from the posts above is that this hobby is very, very rewarding. BUT, and this is a big but…. Take it slow. I still have nightmares from the time I was in one of the local chain pet stores and a lady was buying a bag of salt, a 10 gal aquarium and a yellow tang. A pet for her kid no less. I couldn’t help but intervene, long story short……She made the purchase anyway. I still think about that from time to time and wonder how long that poor fish made it. Sea of Marvels in North Liberty has been good to me. I have heard mixed reviews but I have always walked out of there happy. Good luck!

16. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    +1. Sea of Marvels is great... I didn't realize how nice I had it living in North Liberty. The only downside I saw is he can have goofy hours from time to time (so call ahead if it's a decent drive). I wish we had something on par in the Des Moines area.

17. CMC319

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Also, let me know if/when you get your new setup. I just went through the entire process and may be able to provide some pointers. If you decide to go the mixed reef route, I should have some smaller frags of softies by the time you’re ready for them (Tank cycled and stable). I will give you a few in exchange for the coordinates of your secret Sutliff walleye spot :D

18. CMC319

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Completely agree. I call EVERY time before I head down. But when you can get in, he has always given me outstanding prices on livestock. Even throws stuff in for free a lot of the time. He lost his Eel a few weeks ago when he left town. Lid wasn’t secure and the slippery guy got out. Found it on the floor when he got back a few days later. Sad

19. Carpdoctor New User

Cedar Rapids area
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the advice and the help. If I can get away I plan on attending the Spring
    Fest before I make any decisions. The main thing I see repeated over and over is "take your time".

I live very close to the Wapsi, so all my walleye fishing is done there. My friend lives in Sutliff and also has a cabin there. We mostly chase flatheads on the Cedar and not much else. We all run mud boats so we are easy to spot.

It seems like we do as much floating and cold beverage drinking as we do fishing these days.