1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New member from Nevada

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by DLesan, Sep 22, 2008.

1. DLesan

DLesan Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Happy to find your group.  I have been out of the hobby for over 5 years and am looking forward to getting back into it.  I just set up a used 92 gallon corner a month and a half ago and am dealing with many of the common "new tank" issues.  While I have kept several freshwater and saltwater fish-only tanks in the past this is my first attempt at reef tank.  I am amazed at how much the hobby has changed in the last few years - I had never heard of a refugium before and now I have one...  I am looking forward to having some local contacts in the hobby to discuss issues with maybe get lucky and save some money on stocking my tank.  I am going to try to make the it to the fall fest in November.  I'll start saving up for it now.  I used to love the aquarium auctions that used to be held in Des Moines.
    Dave Lesan

2. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was really surprised when I found out about this site and I'm glad I did.  Other's personal experience helps me out more than books have.  Members here have more experience that I'd ever imagined anyone could.
    Welcome to the site and hope to see you in November.

3. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS!
    Where do you live?  What do you hope to have in your tank?  The Fall Fest will be a great place to get ideas, learn lots of new information from the awesome lineup of speakers we have scheduled, meet a lot of new people, hopefully win some raffle prizes and buy some cool stuff!  Glad you plan on attending!!

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Hey welcome to the site. I was born in Nevada.

Refugiums are awesome. Not only do they help your display but they can be as interesting to watch as well.

Hope to see you at an event sometime.

5. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello Dave, welcome to GIRS. i'm glad you found us, it would have been great to have these resources when i was first getting started. and as xroads said, it is cool interesting to watch a fuge, and it would be good to see you at an event sometime. there are a couple tank tours coming up in different locations, you may want to check them out, and even see about being a stop on the tour if you would like people to come give you advise.

~caleb

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hey, welcome to GIRS.

It's nice to see someone new from the central part of the state. The Des Moines/Ames area seems to be dramatically under-represented lately compared to it's size...

-JB

7. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome! You stumbled upon a great place for advice.

8. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the club - there's a couple members up your way in Ames/Boone, a couple in Ankeny, but the bulk of the people in this region are in the DM area. We've not done a great job of it this summer, but we try to get together once a month and hang out to talk about the hobby and whatever else comes up.

Hopefully now that the weather is cooling off we'll start to hang out as a group again and you can come to the local events. Keep your eye on the DM forum for announcements about DM Area events!