1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

new member from des moines

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Rustin, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Rustin

Rustin Inactive User GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a 100 gal reef tank. Ive owned it a little over a year now. I have some canycane coral, star polyps, green finger leather, white xenia, frogspawn, various mushrooms ane a large bulb tip anemone with a couple false percula clowns, also a large carpet anemone and various snails crabs and shrimp. Im always up for trading frags and am excited to have found this website. Im looking forward to getting to be a part of this group. I was given this tank by my sister, who just couldn't afford the hobby anymore with three kids. It has reminded me how much I always wanted to get into marine biology as a kid, but I somehow wound up in the IT world. I love coming home and relaxing infront of my aquarium. I find its a pretty addictive hobby. Im all ready thinking of upgading to a 200+ gal inwall setup with a fish room behind it. I do have some candcane, button polyps, and green star frags if anyone wants to trade in the des moines area.
    Well, thats my story if any questions feel free to email me Rustin14@hotmail.com

2. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the GIRS.  Sounds like you got a nice start going there.  There's a few people on here building tanks in their walls right now and have threads up with pics.   I don't know if you've found the info, but we are having a fall fest in the Quad Cities next month. 
    Post what you are willing to trade in the buy/sell/trade forum and I'm sure they'll be some responses.  There's another new member looking for a carpet anemone if you're willing to part with yours.

3. Rustin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the welcome. I just got done pre-registering for fall fest. Ive never been to a frag swap so i am very excited. I wanted to go to the drs foster smith one a couple months back, but was in the process or buying my first home and moving so i couldnt make it. I was wanting to get rid of my carpet anemone but i just moved him and it wasnt easy getting him off the bottom of my tank as he is a pretty big guy. I was afraid I damaged his foot but in the last month he has found a nice place in the corner to attach to. I would be willing to get rid of him but i would want to wait awhile to let him heal from any damage i might have done.

4. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS!! Glad to hear that you're going to be at the Fall Fest and looking forward to meeting you!!

5. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Welcome, there are some awesome tanks. If you want to see a really cool in wall & fish room get ahold of JJ in Des Moines. He has one of the nicest ones in the midwest.

6. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

WELCOME! There are many active members in the Des Moines of course. If you are recent to the hobby you will have many questions along the way. You have found the place for the answers, please ask.
    Also, please take advantage of our water chemistry meeting on the 21st and tank tours on the 26th in Des Moines. All we ask is you join the club for a year for peanuts.  You will get back the dues in your first few questions. People here have been through many of the trials and tribulations you will face and can save you huge dollars in solving the issues. Please visit this thread to join this months activities:
    http://www.greateriowareefsociety.o...t.aspx

And as mentioned the Fall Frag Fest in the Quad cities next month.
    http://fallfest.greateriowareefsociety.org/
    Also, how did you find out about us? We are trying to find ideas to make it easier for area reefers to find out abot us.

7. Rustin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the welcome. I was looking at craigs list and saw a link for the fall fest. I did join the club yesterday and got preregistered for fall frag fest. I am extremely excited to go to a frag fest.Im hoping to join this months activities, but im on call for work a lot and my hours of work vary every day, but hopefully I can.

8. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info! Proof positive that we should not be ignoring Craigslist as a free advertising opportunity.

And BTW... WELCOME TO GIRS!

-JB

9. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Each step from RC is looking even better for us.

10. reefgoon09

reefgoon09 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, I live in Granger which is only 10 minutes away from Des Moines!

11. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the club. I live over in West Des Moines. Attend the tank tour coming up if you can. You really do learn alot from seeing others setups and I'm sure some of the stops will have frags for sale.