1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

new member cedar rapids

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by champ23, Oct 17, 2008.

1. champ23

champ23 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My name is Champ(yes its my real name.lol.)
    I recently moved to Cedar Rapids for college, i just purchased a 12 gallon aquapod and I'm going to start a nano-reef.  I've been to Sea of Marvels and Petco, I'm going to Pets Playhouse and BoBo's to check things out today.  I'm looking for a private seller to buy LR off of because it seems to be the cheapest and the best.  Anyone who would like to give me some tips or advice on a nano reef, or even walk me through it step by step I'd be greatful. Email ballboi23@hotmail.com Thanks!

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Hey welcome to the site,

What college are you going to? I was at Coe a long time ago.

I am sure you can find some LR, if not I have some that needs to be reseeded for $2 a pound. (It has been dry since June).

GL on the aquapod, it can be challenging since it such a small water volume.

3. champ23

champ23 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm a soph at Kirkwood. I transferred here this fall.
    Do you recommend any fish stores around here?
    And thanks, i'll need the luck, i hear they can be a pain if their not taken care of, but i've got the time.lol.
    I think when i get it up and running I'm gunna go check out the fall fest, it looks very interesting.

4. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS!

We are having a Tank Tour in the Cedar Rapids area this sunday. You're welcome to join us if you want.

We are lucky to have some nice pet/saltwater stores around here. BoBo's, Pet's Playhouse and Sea of Marvel are all very good. I would avoid PetCo. BoBo's is a club sponsor, so I encourage you to support them (and encourage the other shops to support the club!).

Hope to see you sunday.

-JB

5. champ23

champ23 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds great, I'd love to join!
    I haven't purchased anything from petco and doubt i will. not impressed with them.
    I enjoyed Sea of Marvels the owner was very informative and helpful.
    Pets playhouse and BoBo's are on my list to go to today. (store hours?)
    I will gladly support BoBo's, anything to help!

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Cool, Keep an eye on the Cedar Rapids forum. Steph (our Cedar Rapids/Iowa City club trustee) should be posting the final information (times, directions, etc) very soon.

-JB

7. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Wow sounds like a similar story here. I am also a sophomore from Kirkwood and I recently got a 12 gallon nano but I got a nanocube DX though. I would definitely recommend Bobo's fish store. He helped me out a lot and setup me up with some coral for good prices. Good luck with your nano! Just take your time and it will be no problem keeping everything looking good. Just curious but are you living in one of the apartment complexes located around the Kirkwood campus?

8. champ23

champ23 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, i live on campus, at Village East. Are you living around here too?

9. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've gotten all of my LR off of ebay from this guy: http://myworld.ebay.com/mrmarine

I couldn't be happier with the results. It's awesome rock. But it looks like he doesn't have any for sale right now. I think he's $2.55/lb with shipping it's like $3.50/lb