1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New member - Boone

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by JConsolver, Jan 16, 2009.

1. JConsolver

JConsolver Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi - I am Jeanette - I live in Boone, Ia.   I currently have a 90 gallon saltwater tank.  It has been up and running for about 10 years now - I inherited it in May and have really enjoyed it.  I had a partial crash last night/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/angry.gif and realized that I need to have some contacts around here so, hopefully we can help each other out and NEVER have that happen again. Unfortunately, I have to admit that the crash was my own fault - I convinced my sister (the previous owner of the tank) to buy a sea apple about 3 years ago and he went toxic last night.   I have now lost all fish except 1 (amazingly enough ot is the blue chromis that survived - supposedly the most fragile fish I have - err, had)  I do plan on restocking my tank as soon as everything is safe again - it really looks sad right now as I lost most of the corals too!! So, that is me in a nutshell - I had always wondered if there was a group around Des Moines - but never looked into it very much - will plan on comming to Des Moines for the informal get togethers now though - as I think it would be great to meet others who share my love of fish!

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Jeanette,

Welcome to GIRS!

Sorry to hear about your tank crash... /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif

-JB

3. JConsolver

JConsolver Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, it ha been a very sad 24 hours - I have cried many times!!  especially this morning when I pulled out a yellow tang that was 10-12 years old

4. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi Jeanette! It is good to know there is another reefer in Boone. I live just north of Town off of E18. You have just found the best resource in Iowa to keep your tank successful, GIRS! I am more than happy to help with any advice you may need as anyone in the club will be.
    I am guessing that your sister got her Start from Andy on main street?
    I am also the Des Moines Trustee for the club. We have just posted a calendar in the Des Moines forum if you are interested in attending any events.
    How did you find us?

5. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome Jeanette! Sorry about your tank. Good luck with the rebuilding process.

--AJ

6. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS. I'm in Ames, there are a few others in Ames too. Don't be afraid to ask for anything if ya need it. I'm sure we can help out.

7. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS... sorry to hear about your tank having recently recovered from a crash (lost power for an extended time). My chromis survived as well, one was even floating but once everything started circulating he seemed to magically revive and start to swim.

8. JConsolver

JConsolver Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    actually, my sister started her tank in Kansas City, we moved it in 5 gallon buckets to Boone - everything survived the trip - but not the apple!!  I heard about you through craigslist actually, I was going to post on there and see if there was any interest in forming some type of network in the area - then I found this!!  It is great!!!!  I live right over by the park in Boone so, we aren't very far - I am always interested in seeing other tanks - I only know of 1 other here in Boone.

9. JConsolver

JConsolver Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's official - all my fish have now died /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif I am so sad!!!

10. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Jeanette sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Welcome to GIRS, there is a wealth of knowledge in this club to pull from, if you have any questions someone here can help.

-Rick-

11. JConsolver

JConsolver Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the welcome - I do not plan on giving up on my tank although the last 36 hours have proven very expensive I will start rebuilding as I can afford to. I truly enjoy sitting in front of my tank for hours on end, there is no better form of relaxation (OK, my hot tub runs a close second)