1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

new lights maybe?

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by jstngates, May 28, 2009.

1. jstngates Experienced Reefkeeper

Toledo Iowa
    Ratings:
    +40 / 1 / -0

I currently have a 75 with a coralife compact on it. It has 10k 65 watt bulbs that need replaced. There are 2 blue and 2 white. From what I have found they are 30 apiece. Is there some cheaper out there? Am I better off upgrading lights? Not sure what to do.  Do I buy new lights? Anyone have any for sale?

2. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I've gotten some from ebay seller aquaticfactoryllc. They seemed to perform well, and the price is great. Just a heads up, he doesn't ship until your paypal has completely cleared the bank, so it can take a little while.

3. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    This will depend on what you want to accomplish. At a minimum buy new bulbs if they are over a year old. The Coralife Compact PC Bulbs at Foster and Smith I think are 20.
    If you want to get into SPS you will want to upgrade to Halide. I would say 2-250W on a 75 with Actinic supplementation with PC, T5 or VHO.

4. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    When my pc lights got old I upgraded to t5ho. What do you want to keep for corals? A 4X54 fixture should be okay but for a 75 gal a 6X54 would be better.

5. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you are ready to go to halide I have an Ice Cap 175 halide ballast and bulb Ill sell you. Bulb is about 8 months old according to the previous owner but still works great. Its a 10k hamilton. You will need reflector for it but I have all wiring and every thing else. 75$ for both... Let me know