1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New light set up question...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by saltwaternewbee, Jul 11, 2009.

1. saltwaternewbee

saltwaternewbee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got my new icecap pendants, ballasts with Aquamaxx 14k bulbs and 2)160w super actinic 420 hooked up today and can't figure out why the tank still isn't blue. The guy at marine depot said the aquamaxx were equal to the phioenix but i'm not seeing it. is there anything i can do to increase the color and still keep some growth in the tank?
    i have one VHO about 5" off the tank in the back and the front is about10"....should i move either closer or further away from the tank?
    do i need reflectors for the VHO's since they have them built in?
    i'll try and get some pics tomorrow when the lights are off.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    you need 20k's for blue

3. saltwaternewbee

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i don't think that's all true.....JB's running 14k phoenix and his tank is an AWSOME blue.

4. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I run 14k pheonix 250's with 2 true actinic, 1 blue + and 1 Fiji purple t5 and I think it's the best color my tank will EVER have! Seen great growth and my corals pop thru the whole light cycle. 20k is almost too blue for my taste. I've seen 400w 20k look good but 250w the 14k is perfect. You vho or accent lights will make all the difference if I think. Halides can't compete with t5 for color but vise versa for growth I think.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    IMHO, you shoulda went all T5's and then you could have had whatever shade of blue you wanted. That was my biggest mistake when I bought my lights, I listened to everyone else who were halide worshippers. Thats my mistake, I should have went with what i wanted in the first place.

6. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i would try to keep all lights about 6" off the water. If you want more blue color, then you will need to add more atinic vho's or you will need to get 20k MH. Not what you wanted to hear. also i know there is a window behind the tank, is that covered? wondering if there is outside light getting to the tank and making less blue show? Just a few of my thoughts.

7. saltwaternewbee

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have that window darkened with a shade and light blocking curtains. i'm gonna call the guy at marine depot who sold me on these bulbs and complain a little...not that's gonna amount to anything.

8. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are they mogul based or double-ended? If they are mogul you could try rotating them in the socket to see if that helps. Some people say you should do it as soon as they start up and are just warming up....if you try it be very careful and use a old hot pad, or you will burn yourself.

9. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The Phoenix 14K bulb is about the only bulb that lives up to that color temperature. I have also tried Reeflux 12K, Aqua Connect 14K and Giesemann 13K as well. My takeaway from trying different bulbs is to find a bulb that gets you close to the color temp you want. Then find the right combination of actinic supplementation to make it look the way you want it to look.

10. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    BTW, I don't think my Phoenix bulbs are that blue at all... I'd describe them as a crisp white with a hint of blue.

11. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    it takes a while for some bulbs to get their color. a week or two usually.