1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New lappy toppy rocks!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Waverz, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I just got a new Dell Studio 1557 with the I7 quad core processor and man this thing is smokin'!!
    Sure wish it came with Win7 though.  Dell is offering a free upgrade but is seriously lagging on getting them out to people.
    I can get one for $30 being i am going to be a student so i might just bite the bullet and buy one instead of waiting.

2. wesly2007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    hey man i seel computers at best buy and i have to tell you your probably bwetter off waiting a few months to upgrade to windows seven so they can fix any problems than may occur.  at least thats what i have been telling people.

3. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Anything has to be better than Vista, man I really hate VISTA!!

4. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Windows 7 is actually incredibly stable. They did the smart thing this time around and made it available to the public to use months before launch for the specific reason of finding issues with it BEFORE starting to sell (well that and to get people hooked IMO). That said I am one who really didn't mind Vista. What did you not like about Vista. And before you say ANYTHING is better, try Windows ME /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif
    Thought I would add that you should look into what version of Win7 Dell is offering as a free upgrade. I know the student one is just the regular home edition. Might be worth it waiting for Dell if it is a higher tier they are giving you.

5. nuccatree

nuccatree

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't turn my computer on without my trusty XP pro! I would agree with the above wereto wait a few months. Even if they did introduce it a few months earlier, it does take some time to work all the bugs out. that is why they have service pack 17a....and on, and on...

6. nuccatree

nuccatree

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    waawhooo...I didn't realize I just posted my 100 post...althoug it is old news now! Happy day!

7. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Congrats on your new system! I looked at those Studio machines back when I was purchasing a laptop for my wife...but I ended up going cheap and getting an Inspiron. The Studio models look like they have more I/O ports like Firewire and HDMI that the Inspiron does not have.   I'm sure you'll have fun testing the limits of your new laptop...getting new computers is always fun.

I like Windows 7. That in mind, I am waiting on a few things before everything is fully functional. For example, the Windows Home Server client is not fully Windows 7 compatible and does not backup Windows 7 clients correctly yet. HP does not have some of their printer drivers packaged for Windows 7 yet. In fact, they went backward. When I was using the Windows 7 beta early on, the HP driver would work. I just grabbed the Vista install and used that. Since then, they released a new version of their drivers and now it won't install on Windows 7 (it gives an incompatible operating system error, even when compatibility mode is adjusted on the install executable). They have also added a note about it on their drivers page that was not there before. I've heard from the Microsoft rep at AEGON that the Microsoft stuff will be fixed when Windows is available in retail stores. If it were me, I would go ahead with Windows 7 and deal with the inconveniences another month or so.

For you, another option would be to go ahead and buy it now, then when the Dell copy gets to you, you can sell it an an OEM copy. I'm sure there's lots of people that would buy it.

Good luck!

--AJ

8. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I only see 79 posts?

9. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Actually service packs are largely for security holes that people with bad intentions have brought to light. You will always see service packs. WAiting another couple months won't really get you anywhere IMO. It will probably be about a year before SP1 even comes out for Win7.

10. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    Posted By Waverz on 10/24/2009 10:49 PM
    Anything has to be better than Vista, man I really hate VISTA!!
    +1!!!!