1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New Korallia`s?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JB, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ouch! sticker shock

2. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    About six months ago. Ccool huh?

3. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I hadn't even heard of them.

They are pricey, but still not as bad as Tunze's.

-JB

4. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i think i'd just go with a MJ mod /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif

5. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's alot of flow for the money.

6. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    if you just look for them on ebay you can get them at least half the price I bought all my 4's for 32.99 that is over half off check it out if you dont belive me

7. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Phathead on 01/06/2009 05:30 PM
    if you just look for them on ebay you can get them at least half the price I bought all my 4's for 32.99 that is over half off check it out if you dont belive me How long have you had the 4 and do you like it?  Do you have a pic of one in your tank?  I thought about getting a couple but I have not heard much first hand experience about them.

8. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have 2 K4's and one K2... bought them off eBay as well, look around you can get them much more reasonable on ebay vs other online retailers. I have also had the Maxijet mods and didn't care for them nearly as well as these. One has been in my tank for about 6 months the others are newer and have never had any trouble, wouldn't hesitate to buy again.

9. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    gb387, Are you talking about the new Magnum Koralia's or the first line they came out with?

10. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Wayne1 on 01/20/2009 07:28 PM
    gb387, Are you talking about the new Magnum Koralia's or the first line they came out with?
    Talking about the first line they came out with...  hope I didn't get anyone's hopes up.  [​IMG]

11. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    MJ mod is way cheaper than the magnums and at 2100 GPH with a Maxi-Jet 1200 you can't beat the price ~$35

12. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By h2so4hurts on 01/21/2009 10:55 AM
    MJ mod is way cheaper than the magnums and at 2100 GPH with a Maxi-Jet 1200 you can't beat the price ~$35
    That is true...  problem I had, I wanted to keep them lower in the tank but the 'stock' suction cups wouldn't hold them all I ended up with was a major sand storm so you really also need the magnetic holder.

13. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The suction cups work great for me. Just have to push them back down against the glass every few days before they fall off. Even with magnetic holders, that's $55 for 2100 GHP. The Koralia 6 Magnum is $130 at that flow rate. ALthough it runs at half the wattage...

14. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By h2so4hurts on 01/21/2009 05:12 PM
    The suction cups work great for me. Just have to push them back down against the glass every few days before they fall off. Even with magnetic holders, that's $55 for 2100 GHP. The Koralia 6 Magnum is $130 at that flow rate. ALthough it runs at half the wattage...
    True...  it is still cheaper any way you look at it.  It would take sometime to pay off the difference in electricity costs vs the cost of the pumps themselves.

15. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have a couple of them all I dont have them in tanks right now bvut they all still wokr great . I try to get pictures soon as within the move im not exactly sure where they are right now.

16. dzabler

dzabler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have 2 k's and one k 4 and love them.  i havent had any problems and when i start up another tank i will be buying more.  i am excited to try the big ones

17. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You get what you pay for generally in this hobby. Mj mods can work pretty well but you need a good magnet holder and they aren't very pretty. I've had a few in the past and the MJ burned out. The Koralia's look good (the original ones) and perform well. Their magnet holders make them superior and they have a pleasing "look" to them. I used them in my 90 gallon before I upgraded and I now use Tunze's. I still keep my Koralia 4's for my water mixing tank though because they are just great little power heads.

I do not know how the newer Magnum's work but I doubt that they will hold their value like a Tunze does. Plus, I think you have to use their brand controller if you decide to go that route. My Tunze have been running 24/7 since August and I haven't had to take them out to clean them or anything. I bought them used from a guy on RC and it was a good investement in my mind since I could get most of my money back tomorrow if I decided to sell them. Not true with anything else but the Vortechs.

18. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Very true RobynT!!