1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New hobby is growing...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by kingpin, Aug 31, 2018.

1. kingpin

Boone, IA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    New (to me) lighting upgrade! Two 165w LED.

IMG_20180917_235012247.jpg

2. kingpin

Boone, IA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Added rock and a few snails and shrimp. Total of two clownfish that currently occupy opposite corners. Water parameters are ideal and stable. It has matured quickly. I must have beginners luck...

IMG_20180922_232937038.jpg

3. Easy E Novice Reefkeeper Leadership Team

Shellsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Don't mean to be a bummer, but there are some things you should be aware of when pairing clowns. If you purchased 2 adult clownfish separately, there is a chance they could both be females. If that is the case, they will never cohabitate peacefully, and it could be the reason they now occupy opposite corners. To successfully pair clowns, you need a male and a female. This can only be accomplished in 3 ways that I know of. You can obtain an known mated pair. This is the best and least risky option. The other 2 methods both involve risk of incompatibility and death of the less dominant fish. The second best option is to start with a known female and pair it with a much smaller juvenile that has not established a sex yet. If the female accepts the juvenile and doesn't harass it to death, more than likely it will become a male. The third, and most risky option, is to start with 2 juveniles and hope that one becomes a female and the other becomes a male.

I'm strictly speaking from my experience. There are probably others with more experience that will offer differing opinions. But I do know that putting 2 adult female clowns in the same tank is generally a recipe for disaster, unless you have a very large tank. They may look cute and peaceful when they are small, but there are very few fish that are more aggressive and territorial than a fully-grown female clown. It's the only fish that has ever bit ME when I put my hand in the tank.

4. kingpin

Boone, IA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The Ocellaris seems immature and may not have established a gender yet. I bought the anemone that was hosting the Ocellaris with intentions of them staying together. The Maroon swam in to occupy the space and the Ocellaris submitted immediately. Over the last few days, the two have gone from opposite corners to occupying the same quadrant in general. I am hoping that this is step toward pairing rather than simply a tolerance for each other. Maybe it will become the submissive male and everything will work itself out? Time will tell.

5. kingpin

Boone, IA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I am also aware of the risks of attempting to pair different varieties of clownfish. I got the maroon with knowledge that it was pretty aggressive. The ocellaris I picked out was one of three in a tank and was the smallest. There have not been any major conflicts between them, just general avoidance. In the freshwater world, it is not advised to keep a male and female beta together, but I have two that get along just fine (the female is much larger). I don't mind taking a gamble and going against the grain. If problems arise, separation is always an option.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  6. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    This has been my experience as well. And once one started biting it didn't take long before the other joined in. And these were ocellaris clowns.

I don't think you can actually get a maroon and an ocellaris clown to "pair" even if one is male and one is female. I also don't want to be a downer, but I have a feeling that your ocellaris is doomed if left in there long term.

There's a pretty good write-up archived on RC... hopefully posting it isn't violating any GIRS rules.

Keeping clownfish: multiple clowns and mixing species - Reef Central Online Community Archives

7. Easy E Novice Reefkeeper Leadership Team

Shellsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Again there are likely others that know more about this than I do, but I think it is highly unlikely that a maroon and an ocellaris would ever pair up since they are a completely different genus and species. Also, the maroon is one of the most aggressive fish available. A fully-grown female will not only dominate other clowns, it might attempt to dominate other fish as well, and control the entire tank. Maroons are well known to get big and mean, so separation will probably become necessary in the not-too-distant future. I have also had many freshwater tanks and have found out the hard way that you can't get away with bending the rules as much in the saltwater world.

I hate to be such a downer but you can learn a lot from other people's failures in this hobby and avoid those pitfalls yourself. I wish I had listened more to other opinions when I first started out. I could have saved myself a lot of time, money, and headaches.

8. kingpin

Boone, IA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Well... They're already bought and paid for, so the trial will continue. In light of what seems to be a failing experiment, hopefully the large tank will provide safe separation for the time being.