1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New guy

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Will44, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Will44

Will44 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey im new to GIRS and i have a 29 gallon biocube with a clown and a small puffer, i live in clive and have been at my tank for 2 months i am pretty pleased with my rusults except for the excess amount of brown algae covering the bottom and live rock, i have been scrubbing it off the sides and shuffling the bottom but it won't go away suggestions to remove it? thanks

2. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    it'll go away on its own, i didn't believe it at first but mines started to dissapear. welcome to GIRS and theres a few people on here that have nano's that should be able to assist you with any ?'s you may have with them. where are you loceated Will?

3. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Welcome Willbo44!

If you dont already, I would get some turbo snails, and blue lag hermits. Give them 3 to 4 days and you should see a big difference.
    hope this helps
    -Rick-

4. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are you using tap water? If so, that may be a contributing factor...and ditto to what everyone else said...it's a normal part of the cycle. Welcome to the forums!

--AJ

5. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Welcome to GIRS. I work in Clive and also have a puffer. Please take a look at the Des Moines area calendar and come join one of our get togethers. The next event is at the zoo for the spring Coral swap on the 28th. Come see us and get some coral, you'll have plenty of room once you upgrade to hold that puffer.
    As far as the brown algae, it is common in new tanks. As was asked, are you using tap water or RO? Switching your water changes to RO if you are using tap water will help as will time. Puffers are very messy eaters though which will make it hard to keep the nitrates down which will contribute to the algae issue.

6. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    oops didn't notice you said you live in clive my bad...i should slow down on my reading haha