1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New guy

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Shaun, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello. Well my tank is a 55g tank with a 20g sump( if I can get it going) It has had water in it for a whopping two weeks. Got some neet hitchhikers with the live rock. I plan to start putting some soft corals at first then once they get going good adding some clowns and mabey some damsels.

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Cool where you from?

Alot of people have a 55 for a first tank, I am glad you are putting a sump in right away. My first tank I was dumb enough to put crushed coral on top of a under gravel filter.

Welcome to GIRS!

Craig

3. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I live in Winfield Ia. The sump idea camr from the fact that I was sitting here bored one day so I started looking around reef central and saw how many ppeople made there sumps. Well I had an old 20g tank already and decided to give it a try. Still need some plumbing work but I think it will work good for a first sump. Wasnt going to use one oridginaly. But I am always changing my mind on this thing, I started and was going to be a fish only tank, now I am going to start out with soft corals then add fish later.

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Wow, I didnt know winfield was still on the map. (Wapello native here)

RC has alot of good info. If you have any questions feel free to ask here. There are alot of helpfull people on the forums all the time.

5. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the G.I.R.S.  There's a lot of helpful members in the club with more experience than I thought was possible when I first started just a 4 months ago.

I think I've seen a sign for Winfield once, I live in Muscatine.   If
    you need any help or want to look at sumps, I have a simple one I made and have an external overflow I have running.  I have a
    glass hole saw for 1" plumbing also if you need to borrow it.

6. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS!

7. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well muscatine is not to far for me. I may just take ya up on the offer to show me your sump.

8. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome!

9. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    welcome make sure to check out the fall fest on nov 15. it will be a great source of information

10. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am definetly planning on going to fall fest. It sounds like a blast and with that many people I am sure to get a ton of great info. Hmmm mabey I should bring a notebook..

11. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, the fall fest will have some great deals for you.

12. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looking forward to it.