1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New guy Orange city iowa

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by sleeperls, Aug 26, 2009.

1. sleeperls

sleeperls Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Figured id join the gang here.
    My tank is in its infancy. Just about a year old.
    40gbr 20g sump.
    250w mh, 2x39wt5's
    35# of liverock(would like a little more.
    Vortech mp20
    A pair of false percs
    A rescued purple tang. Had hlle. It is healing up quite well But i fear within the next year it will need a bigger home.
    Very few corals.
    Neptune ac3 runs it all.
    A pic or two.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS!

Tank looks great, thx for the pix!

-JB

3. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Welcome. Nice tank.

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Welcome, glad you could join us.

I like the tank. People are starting to go to less is more with live rock. It looks good in your tank.

Where is Orange City?

5. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Welcome, glad you could join us.

I like the tank. People are starting to go to less is more with live rock. It looks good in your tank.

Where is Orange City?

6. ScubaTodd

ScubaTodd Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    are you happy with the performace of the vortech mp20?

7. sleeperls

sleeperls Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys, It was my idea when i set this tank up last year to keep the old K.I.S.S theory with this tank.
    I wanted to drill it but wasnt able to. My next tank will be drilled as tanks of my past have been.
    Orange city is in nw iowa 35min ne of sioux city. 
    Finally the last question. I LOOOOVE the mp20 on this size tank. I run it on reefcrest at about 75%. It would prob be better to run two mp10's on either side but thats just one more thing that can wear out. I picked it up a while back on a group by for 260 to my door and just couldnt pass it up. It replaced 2 hydor k2's and two mj900's. Anything more than 75-80% on reefcrest is a little to strong for that side of the tank with the softy's and my gbta. I need to rework my return pluming as i just capped one side and it really upped the preasure to the other side. I will buy one again and again and again. Even if i have to replace the whole pump every year.

8. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    That's a nice tank. My parents live in Granville, IA, so that's awesome only being a ten minute drive from their place to yours. I'll have to let you know when the next time I'm planning on coming back to visit them and check out your tank, prolly bring some corals with me or something. There's a guy(username cbort) moving to Cherokee soon that you could buy/trade corals with. There's a couple people from Sioux City(not sure if they sell/trade anything), I only know of them from Linomareefs.com . The girls username is Jill, her son has a tank too(not sure his username) and the only other person they know of from the sioux city's username is Tank41. I hope this helps you find some closer "reefer" friends...

Here's Cbort's post on moving to Cherokee along with a couple posts of his tanks:
    http://greateriowareefsociety.org/Community/DiscussionForums/tabid/78/aff/2/aft/16971/afv/topic/afpgj/1/Default.aspx#31509
    http://greateriowareefsociety.org/Community/DiscussionForums/tabid/78/aff/6/aft/16988/afv/topic/afpgj/1/Default.aspx#31617
    http://greateriowareefsociety.org/Community/DiscussionForums/tabid/78/aff/6/aft/16977/afv/topic/Default.aspx

-Adam

9. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Other than those 4, I don't think there's any other sw enthusiasts from the area, unless you know some I don't know of?

10. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I guess 5 if you include Cbort's wife, he put together a 3 gallon pico for her!

11. sleeperls

sleeperls Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah i know cbort. I've gotten a few frags from him and talk with him on occasion. There are a few guys around the area and we usually go in together if we are going to place a order and split the shipping 4 ways.
    I told cbort if his wife wants to upgrade ive got a 12gallon jbj haha.
    Your always more than welcome to come check out the tank.

12. foxface

foxface Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello sleeperls. My nick is Tank41 on Linoma reefs and foxface on GIRS. Don't know why but I need to change it. Yea there aren't many from this corner of the state. Tdake is one and his mother Jill and of course cbort who will be moving to cherokee shortly. Also there is Pat (aka pjmoto on linoma) he lives in the dakota dunes area just over the state line. There also is paperclip who also frequents both sites I believe. I use to live in Sioux Center for a short period years ago but have lived in Sioiux city most of my life. Right now I have a 75 setup and hoping to upgrade to a 125 or so in the near future if I can find a good deal :) Just wanted to say hi and good luck with your tank and if you need anything let me know.
    Later.
    John

13. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the site! That's a nice setup. You can tell you've put a lot of TLC into it.

--AJ

14. sleeperls

sleeperls Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If all goes as planned the system will be really nice within the next two years. I really need to buy a new skimmer, as all ive got is a cpr backpac that was gave to me 6 years ago.  That is next on the list as well as fixing the sump and return plumbing. I also need to set up a auto top off to keep things a little more stable.
    One day i will have anuf coral in the tank to actually use up some of the elements. I usually have to switch from RC's on week and IO another to keep the levels where i want them. I've never kept sps before but im kind of wanting to put a few peices in.
    The wife likes zoa's, so im sure they will have a nice place in there as well.
    My main problem is that i like anemones. I need to figure out what one to get that doesnt grow and split like a madman like the bta's do. They are the only type ive ever kept as i know i can. Little worried to try others.