1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New Guy from Silvis, IL

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Dystopia, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Dystopia

Dystopia Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone!
    I am extremely new to the reefkeeping hobby, having only started to get into the research part. I have been keeping things in glass cages for as long as I can remember. Started out with keeping bullfrog tadpoles and have moved on to various types of freshwater fish through the years.
    Until recently, I was always under the impression that a Saltwater tank was too difficult to maintain and therefore had stayed away from it. However that all changed when my wife got tired of seeing the empty aquarium and said she wanted a "Nemo" tank.
    Since my wife rarely asks about getting any kind of fish, I jumped on it and have been doing almost non - stop research for about a month now. I am a very big believer in doing my homework before even putting any water in the tank. I have been reading back issues of Reefkeeper and Advanced Aquarist while looking at a ton of DIY sites and anything I can think of. I have been drooling over all the different types of coral, especially the Softies.
    Right now, I have a 55 gallon glass aquarium, and thats about it. Money is a little tight as I got married this year and no OT available at work, but i can be patient and work on building it piece by piece. Meanwhile, I am planning like crazy.
    Thanks for providing a local resource to the newbie reefkeepers.
    Jeremy

2. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS and I'm glad to see another come in from the QC area.

So far sounds like you're doing everything right. There's no reason to rush, it just causes more problems in the long run. Ask all the questions you can think of and this club is really great at helping at newbs. I'm still one myself. I started out the same way as you have just earlier this past year.

Once you get your tank set up, I have some easy beginner corals I can throw your way. Xenia, kenya tree, and some polyps if you'd like.

3. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hello there. Keep an eye on the buying selling forums for good deal on equipment and feel free to ask any questions you might have on the hobby.

Chris

4. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome! Glad to hear you are researching before making impulse buys.

5. Monkey Man Zero

Monkey Man Zero Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome! Hopefully you'll find GIRS to be a good resource for planning and setting up your tank. Stay patient and you're well on your way!

Again welcome and don't hesitate to ask questions.

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS!

It's nice to hear that you're taking it slow and planning things out. Afterall, that's part of the fun!

-JB

7. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Welcome!! You have now found the best Reef resource possible in Iowa/Illinois (other good clubs in Ill too though). GIRS will save you tons of money by saving you from making some of the same mistakes many of us have made plus great deals on Coral and group buys.

Please, ask us questions as they come up. You will get quick experienced answers.

Get your tank up and running by March 28th, we are having a Frag swap in Des Moines.
    How did you find us?

8. Dystopia

Dystopia Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the exuberant welcome! I am without home internet access for now due to budgetary cutbacks (wedding, economy, etc) but my job allows me the ability to keep up on all things aquaria at work, as long as they dont catch me, /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

@ REEFer Madness - I will definitely take you up on that offer when the time comes. Ive shown the wife different coral pictures to get an idea of what she likes and she really liked Xenia!

@jtesdall - Through Reefkeeper forums. I lurked for about a week, just checking things out and really liked what I saw. So many times, you see local chapters of different interest clubs that are either extremely inclusive or just not very active. You all should be very proud of what you have here. I have been a part of a lot of special interest forums due to to fascination with all things living (see list below) and think you have something very special here.

0.0.1 Ball Python
    0.0.1 California Kingsnake
    0.1.0 Gray Treefrog
    1.0.0 Mini-Rex Rabbit
    0.1.0 Smooth Coat Guinea Pig
    3.1.0 Dwarf Homo Sapiens

Have had Rats, many types of fish, and was an accidental breeder of russian dwarf hamsters (trusted the pet store sexing of them..)