1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New Frag Tank (raffle winner)....now what?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PotRoast, Nov 16, 2009.

1. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Hey I won the small frag tank at the raffle Saturday! I am totally freaking stoked. I have been contemplating getting a frag tank for awhile now....and now I have it! Woo Hoo!

So, I don't really know how to hook it up. Should it be a standalone tank? Do I add an overflow and run it in-line with my display tank, sump, and refugium? Do I drill this tank or just add a HOB overflow?

If any of you saw the frag tank and could give advice on what further equipment I might need or advice on what YOU would do with it, please let me know.

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would add an overflow box and drill it. Trying to keep the water quality good in a stand alone system would be more work than you want. Just my two cents.

--AJ

3. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I would plumb it in with your entire system that way all the good waste products from your display make it to the frag tank for coral food. As far as overflow you could just drill it and do a PVC style or you could check out glassholes for one of their overflows. You will not need the bit of course unless you want one laying around for future projects. I have the 700 gph on my display tank and love it!

I am actually getting ready to set up my new frag tank and this is what I plan on doing minus the overflow sense I have that built in. Good luck with the new frag tank! This means you will have to sell next year sense you will be filling that tank up!

4. PotRoast

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I checked out glass holes. Thanks for the tip.

Can you drill acrylic easily with the hole saw they are selling? (it seems to be for glass) Also, I am not sure if the overflow will fit in my frag tank. The tank is small....there is no dimensions on the site. I guess I will email them.

Does anyone know where this tank came from? I wonder if the builder has any advice on how to add an overflow, or what type to add, etc.

5. Gered

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    The width is 6 inches and about 1 1/2 deep...not sure on the depth but I think it would fit fine. You may not even need the 700 gph overflow. You could probably get away with one of the smaller version.

As far as drillng you can use a normal whole saw for acrylic. I think the diamond bit would end up melting the acrylic as you're drilling. I would just e-mail them and ask what they would recommend for an overflow. They are nice guys and willing to work with you.

The builder of the frag tank is B-rad on the site.

6. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Right...acrylic can/should be drilled with a normal hole saw.

--AJ

7. PotRoast

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I might hurt myself if I ruined this tank by drilling it. I made a really nice acrylic cover for my 50 gallon rubbermaid.....I was experiencing a lot of rust in my basement when I did not have a cover. When I made that cover I did have a little trouble with the acrylic spiderwebbing a little.

When I drill this tank, does anyone have any suggestions on how to do it right? A link somewhere maybe?

Speaking of acrylic, I love TAP plastic....imformative site for sure.

8. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You know, if you're scared of ruining it (which I think I might be too...those tanks look so great), contact B-Rad. He's in Muscatine and that's not that far for you. I'm sure that he can help you drill it.

--AJ

9. Gered

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Ya I bet B-rad would hook you up sense he did build it. Maybe talk to him about an overflow and maybe we can whip something up for you.

10. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, he can make just about anything. If you can think it up and draw up a plan, Rick can probably make it.

--AJ

11. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    FYI, as long as you don't care about looks, you can build a very functional overflow box using an acrylic specimen container and a few dollars worth of PVC parts. I've done it for my last 2 frag tanks. It's very easy and all you need is a dremil and some silicone.

-JB

12. PotRoast

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Good idea. I actually have some acrylic and some glue. I think I will look into this.

What size plumbing/bulkheads/overflow would I need? I don't really know how big that tank is though......but I know you all probably saw it. I bet it holds 15-20 gallons?

13. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    There's a million ways to do it. It kinda depends if you want it to be quiet or not. If you do want it to be quiet, you have to put a little more thought into it and build it so it functions like a stand-pipe. If you don't care about the gurgling/flushing sounds, then you can just plumb it the easiest way you can come up with.

I'd suggest using at least 1" parts.

-JB

14. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Congrats PotRoast! You can use a nice hole saw to make your hole, just dont apply alot of pressure when drilling the starter (Pilot) hole as the drill bit is not an acrylic bit and may grab and chip the acrylic alittle.
    Once you have the pilot hole you just let the hole saw do its job take your time, dont need to spin it super fast, you may have to sand the hole alittle to clean it up abit. Just get a Bulk head fitting from your LFS and make a simple overflow out of pvc.
    Here are some pics. I used pvc fittings on mine insted of a bulk head, but I can do that so I did.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    hey b-rad would you be willing to build me a frag tank like the one you have in the photo sections I have extra cash burning a hole in my pocket

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    B-Rad, nice clowns man!

17. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Matt I sent you a PM, let me know if you want a different size I can change things a bit if need be!
    LOL thanks Rodney!!!

18. PotRoast

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    OK. Thanks for all the advice everyone. Once again, I am stoked about the frag tank for sure. I really, really wanted it. (I even paid $20 to get 30 tickets to jam into the box) Now the only problem is that I am completely obsessed with getting it up and running. It took me like three hours to finally come up with the perfect plumbing 'schematic', as illustrated by the attached drawing. (Yes, I draw like a 2nd grader . But still easier than using Google sketchup if you ask me!) So, the raffle was $20, the plumbing from BRS was $170, and a new light for ???? However I fully intend to make all my money back selling rare and exotic frags such as red cap, green slimer, and purple digitata. Right? Ha ha. So in the end it seems I am just feeding the addiction with this frag tank. Oh well.
    [​IMG]

19. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Which tank is which? haha, I'm pretty confused by the drawing, sorry...