1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New Frag Tank Pics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JB, Aug 21, 2009.

1. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Here are a few pictures of my new frag tank that I've been building.   I just need to clean it up a bit and build a new stand for it then it will be good to go.
    I learned a lot of lessons on what does NOT make a good frag tank in my first one, so I tried to avoid most of those pitfalls in this design.
    This tank is a 40 breeder with no braces on the top to interfere with lighting or access to the tank.
    [​IMG]
    I found that the PVC rack in my current tank took up way too much space and was always in the way.  This time I used strips of acrylic siliconed to the sides of the tank.   This maximizes the amount of space available for frags and minimizes the places where frags can get knocked over and fall to the bottom of the tank.
    [​IMG]
    I added a couple of slideable racks on the bottom for growing lower light corals and caulerpa for the tangs.
    [​IMG]
    The tank was drilled at the bottom of one of the sides when I got it.   I used this hole for a DIY overflow that I built out of a large specimin container.   I used a dremel to cut slots (not as fancy as Rick's acrylic work for sure) and some basic PVC parts for a standpipe.
    Troy drilled a hole for my 3/4" return.
    [​IMG]
    It was impossible to get stuff that fell to the bottom of my current frag tank and it was also hard to place stuff on the second rack.   To account for this in the new tank, the rack is divided into 3 sections.   I added a couple additional strips of acrylic in the middle so that I can temporarily place one of the racks above the others (with 3 1/2" clearance).   This allows easy access to the entire bottom of the tank.
    [​IMG]
    The egg crate was a little too flexible over the entire span, so I attached smaller strips of egg crate to the bottom of each rack using weld-on.   This has the advantage of giving a lot of structural integrity while at the same time not getting in the way of frag plugs (like a pvc rack would).
    I used the same method on the bottom racks to raise them slightly off the bottom of the tank.
    [​IMG]
    That's about all...   Hopefully I will have it cleaned up, filled and full of frags by the end of the weekend!

2. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    i must say that is pry the coolest frag tank ive ever seen

3. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's one sweet overflow box.

4. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hopefully you will move to the house next door to me so i can take those frags off your hands /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif nice tank though

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the great pics! You seemed to have learned some valuable lessons(thanks for making the mistakes for us to learn from too /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif) from your current frag tank. This one seems to have a lot of your bases covered! I really like the clean braceless look the acrylic supports give you. KUDOS

and don't we all wish we we're as SLICK as Rick!? His frag tank is ok too /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

6. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice job JB, Looks like you put some thought into it. Should get some nice frags out of that.

7. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I like the amount of thought that went into it. Detailing the issues with your previous frag tanks as well as the solutions that you have implemented was great. Very good info. That's going to be a heck of a frag tank for you JB...and if it grows stuff as good as your display, you may have to add a middle rack so that when the frags start to run out of water, you can move the rack down! haha

--AJ

8. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Looks good JB. I sure do love the way frag tanks look when they are new, keeping them looking that way is a whole other story. It took mine forever to straighten out, I had ALL kinds of algae issues in it forever, now that I don't have hardly any frags in it, it's algae free.

Fill r' up!

9. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So do I understand correctly that this is a separate tank from your main system or is it going to be tied in?

10. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm glad you all like my design. I haven't made much progress with the tank today... Yard work and Fall Fest planning have been taking the priority, but hopefully I'll get started on the stand shortly.

Robyn: Yes, the tank will be plumbed into my main system (they share a common sump)

-JB

11. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Got the stand built yesterday and everything moved into the new tank today.
    So far so good!   Lots of space available for frags now.   Time to raid the display tank.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice! Looks like you're going to have a bunch of frags for sale for Fall Fest! :)

--AJ

13. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looks great!!!

14. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Robyn!

Hopefully I'll be able to get over to the BNARC event and bring home some new frags to help fill it!

-JB

15. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    And hopefully a few from BNARC can come sell at your event again this year as well!

We have some available spots if anyone is interested.

Fees:
    $20 table - $12 1/2 table - member - non vendor
    $25 table - $15 1/2 table - non member - non vendor

Hope you don't mind me posting this and be sure and give me the information when you are ready to start posting GIRS FF as I will be most happy to post over on BNARC!!

16. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Robyn,
    We don't mind at all.   If you go on our home page, you will see a "Got News?" link.   If you click on that, you can submit information about your Event to our home page.  Let me know when you've posted your info and I'll approve the article.
    You may want to post about it in our general forum as well.
    -JB