1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New Engine for Camry?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JB, Dec 26, 2007.

1. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Well, this morning my wife got her Camry stuck in a snow drift, and after we got it pulled out, I noticed that there was a major knocking sound in the engine (it was actually making the sound before it got pulled out).   Anyway, the car seems like a cylinder is not firing and it's leaking oil in a big way.  So...  I'm thinking that she probably threw a rod and now the engine will probably need to be rebuilt or replaced. [​IMG]
    Anyone have any clue what we might expect to pay to have this done?   $2000?  $3000? $4000?   I know it's not going to be cheap.
    She's talking about just going ahead and getting another car, but it really doesn't have that many miles for a '99 (70K).
    -JB

2. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Guessing she was spinning the wheels trying to get out and was probably over revving the engine and red lining it. You're probably right that she threw a rod or something.

I'm sure it ain't going to be cheap to get it fixed. I'd bet Craig would probably know what the damage might be for something like that! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif Unfortunately you're probably going to be looking at it being more than the car is worth. Just a guess though.

3. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Here's an idea for you. Take it out and find a dead deer laying on the side of the road and prop it up and then RAM it as hard as you can. Make sure you total it though! Maybe back up and hit it again! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif" align="absmiddle" border="0">
    Of course that's only a good idea if you have full coverage insurance.  /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

4. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Dang matt, thats a great idea!! I've been thinking about selling my 93 lincoln, im gonna have to find a BIIG dead deer to total that thing though.

/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

5. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    you could have my luck and slam it into a waterway......I'll be funding craigs new tank

6. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Posted By glaspie69 on 12/26/2007 8:40 PM
    you could have my luck and slam it into a waterway......I'll be funding craigs new tankHow did you slam it into a waterway?  Not sure if the insurance company would cover it if you hit the deer chasing it through the field! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

7. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Well JB did you find out how much it's going to set you back yet?

8. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It was going to be $5000 to replace the engine in her '99 camry, so she bought a '08 Sonata.

We have since had a discussion about what "red line" means...

-JB