1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New clownfish, swimming funny?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by h2so4hurts, Jun 13, 2008.

1. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do any of you think the larger of the two is swimming funny. It seems to bob more than swim. Is this normal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eScfgsIvg88

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, I can't watch because youtube is unavailable at work, but bobbing is fairly normal for clownfish. They're all kind of goofy swimmers.

3. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's normal.
    That's what they do when they live in a host. They kind of bob up and down into and out of an anemone...

4. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure it wasn't sick or something. Thanks!

5. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I noticed that same thing that you did. Whenever she isn't intentionally swimming down, then she starts to float up front first. I hope i'm wrong but she may have a problem with her swim blatter, or air blatter, i don't remember which it's called, but they use it to control their buoyancy. If that happens, it's usually then end of the fish, that's why i hope i'm wrong.
    good luck,
    ~caleb

6. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Been a little over a week now and they look great. Here's another video of them from a few days ago. I think the funny swimming pattern was just a part of the acclimation process??

Took me about 3 days to get the little one to eat anything though. He won't touch mysis shrimp but seems to love brine. Odd...

7. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i'm glad she's doing better

8. Deleted member 120

Deleted member 120 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ya they love brine, but make sure you mix in some other food (mysis flake) over time. I was told brine shimp are very low in nuitrients. Like candy to us...

9. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How big are your clowns? Did you just get them? The first video reminds me of when mine where new and the female was expressing its dominance over the male. During this time the smaller male ate very little this lasted about a week.

10. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just got them about a week and a half ago. The male is 1.5 inches and the female is 2. They're in a 30 gallon tank with 40lbs of LR.
    I'll try fedding them a mix of mysis and brine tonight.

11. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I fed them the mysis tonight and they both devoured that. So it looks like it was probably a dominance thing like wolfe1 mentioned. Is there really any benefit to continuing to feed them brine?

12. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Actually, like all fish, it is best to feed them a wide variety of stuff. Clowns are omnivores so they will eat meat and veggie material.

I feed mine generic flake food, formula 1 and 2 flakes, formula 2 pellets, prime reef flakes, mysis, brine, tubifex worms, a krill now and then and seaweed salad now and then. All of the tank enhabitants will munch on just about everything I put in there.

1 Lawnmower Blenny, 1 Coral Beauty Angel, 1 Royal Gramma, 1 6 line Wrasse, 2 True Percula Clownfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp

The urchin usually takes care of the left over plant material while the spaghetti worms and crabs take care of the rest.